Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 05:46:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Turtles  (Read 8468 times)
lightordark
« on: January 07, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »

I have 4 turtles. I clean them obsessively and my water levels are all kept pretty good. My question is more about feeding. They seem completely disinterested in vegetable matter. I've put several different types of aquatic plants in there, after making sure they weren't poisonous, and they shredded them, but didn't seem to eat any. I've tried collard greens, kale, mustard greens, and all manner of dark green leafy vegetables, which I know they're supposed to enjoy but they won't eat them. I have two painted turtles, approximately 4 inches long, and 2 red eared sliders, approximately 5 or 6 inches long.

How should I encourage them to eat their veggies? They have full spectrum lighting and the temperatures are between the accepted levels at all times.. They're just not interested. They eat their pelleted foods, I buy a variety, and they eat their feeder fish, but they really don't touch plants or fruits or veggies. Help! I know they're supposed to have these.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:27:45 PM »

Read

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,9080.0.html

And

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,9020.0.html

There is also a link in the second thread that will provide you with more information.

hth Smiley

*Anyone who would like to comment should also read the information given in all 3 threads.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
RaGiNg~GnOme

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:13:51 AM »

i have a red eared slider, and he likes to eat pond snails, guppies, and banannas. Oh, and turtle pellets.

Argument and discussion are two extremely similar actions. The only differences are intent and tone Smiley
lightordark
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »

I've read through the links, and while all that information tells me what they need, which I knew already, it doesn't tell me how to get them to eat their veggies..

They get a good variety of food, but they really don't like their veggies.. the only green matter I've seen them eat with gusto is the algae wafers I give the Plecos..

And as for no fish and turtles living peacefully together, tell that to my 4 LARGE goldfish, who started out as feeders, smallest size available, and are now about 4 or 5 inches long, and my 3 convicts, and my blue channel cat and my 2 plecos.. The turtles honestly don't bother these fish at all. The goldfish actually join in the munching when I give them feeder fish.. They eat almost as fast as the turtles.

Anywho. Anyone got any tips on getting them interested in their veggies?
RaGiNg~GnOme

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »

I can only imagine your water changes....I've got a 4" slider in a 40 gallon palaudarium, and he (maybe she...we're not sure) produces more waste in a week than my 90 gallon full of fish produces in a month.

Argument and discussion are two extremely similar actions. The only differences are intent and tone Smiley
Aquaseafoam

Tanks: 2x75 gallon, 2x29 gal, 2x20 gal, 3x 10 gal

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »

Just a quick question.. you said you are providing full spectrum lighting, but does the bulb specifically say it produces UVB?  Turtles need a UVB producing light and there cannot be any glass or plastic between the bulb and the turtles (glass/plastic will filter out virtually all the UVB rays)
As for the veggies, just keep offering them and taking out the old food before it starts to decay.  We have 2 red eared sliders at work. One of them is a pig and tries all kinds of new foods, the other is very finicky.  Try to get some aquatic plants that will live until they decide to eat them- something like duckweed should be good.  the gold fish will love the duck weed too.
Also as youngsters those turtles eat a more carnivorous diet so maybe they just don't want the veggies yet.
What size tank are they in? and what are the temperature of the water and the land area?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"-Amanda Bloom
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:58:42 PM »

You are mixing temperates and tropicals which is a no-no.  I'd like to see the tank, it must be monstrous to house all those turtles and fish. Smiley
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:51:11 AM »

And as for no fish and turtles living peacefully together, tell that to my 4 LARGE goldfish, who started out as feeders, smallest size available, and are now about 4 or 5 inches long, and my 3 convicts, and my blue channel cat and my 2 plecos.. The turtles honestly don't bother these fish at all. The goldfish actually join in the munching when I give them feeder fish.. They eat almost as fast as the turtles.

Wow is that a mess.  Blue Chanel cat fish will grow to 24" with out any trouble, they tolerate warm and cold water.  Gold fish will grow to 20-24" and require cold water. Plecos will grow to 24" require heated water.  The convicts will stay under 6" but require lots of habitat with out intruders, and warm water.  Not to mention that they breed at a rate similar to snails!

You have 7 fish that will grow to 24" long in there!  Some of which require a heater and some of which require a chiller.  How does that work?  The cat fish will tend to the convicts soon enough, that will solve that problem.  Good luck with the rest!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
lightordark
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:37:09 PM »

I don't know the actual gallon size, as it was home-made by an uncle of mine, but it is huge. We siphon through the gravel every single day until it quits coming up cloudy. We've tried feeding the turtles in a separate tank to reduce waste, but it's just not so very effective. Sadly, I have to agree that my tank has become way over populated. We never planned on the goldfish staying, but now I'm in love with him. I have a close friend who is very interested in turtles and likes to help me take care of them, and she just bought a 155 gallon tank. She's agreed to take two of my turtles, the Sliders, on the condition that I get to help her with the set up and I agree that she's taking proper care of them, which she will. she's over the moon about it.

As far as the temperature needs of the fish, I keep the water quite warm for the turtles, around 82, and as the goldfish were feeders, I usually float the bag for a bit to warm up the cold water they're in and then just turn them loose.. Fatty has certainly adapted well to the warm water, and is happy as a clam.

I was stupid when I first got the turtles, they were an impulse rescue, but I researched a whole bunch right away and figured out what the turtles needed first, and realized the tank I had was way too small. I got the bigger tank and fixed the problems I was causing and yes, I know about UVA and UVB lighting. The bulbs I buy do provide both, and I know they have to be replaced after about 5 months. The tank is lidded with a screen so that the light can get through, but it's high enough up that the turtles can't splash it. I measure it every time I remodel so that I'm sure the light is close enough.

The air temp in the tank usually stays right around 80, sometimes a little less. When it gets less, I put a blanket over the most open end of the screen to keep the drafts out and it warms up really quick. They have a spotlight on their basking rock.

I know that most people keep their turtles in a tank that is half earth, but rather than that, I've gathered large river rocks that are mostly flat and I build them various platforms that they crawl out on. They also have plenty of floating plants to tangle themselves in and relax for a while, which they absolutely love.

The water changes are ridiculous, and it does take lots of devotion to haul out several 5 gallon buckets every day to clean the gravel waste out, but they're definitely worth it.. I would probably be smart to get a drain where I could just pump water out, but.. for now, I haul buckets. My arms are definitely benefitting from the workout. In the summer, when I deep clean and dismantle the tank for resents, I have a large kiddie pool that the turtles hang out in, just while their tank is being cleaned. They love cruisin around in the sunshine. I also take them out to explore the yard. They plow right through the grass.

Anyone considering turtles, it is DEFINITELY lots of work, but I love it! Smiley
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

PBITAWA

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »

As far as the temperature needs of the fish, I keep the water quite warm for the turtles, around 82, and as the goldfish were feeders, I usually float the bag for a bit to warm up the cold water they're in and then just turn them loose.. Fatty has certainly adapted well to the warm water, and is happy as a clam.

Your goldfish will die eventually, way sooner than they should.  Karen can tell you more, but at warmer temperatures like yours, your goldfish will cease to grow correctly and not be able to digest their food properly.  Good luck but I still think you have a lot of work to do to resolve some issues. Smiley
lightordark
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »

The goldfish is about 2 years old now, and seems quite happy. . . he eats, scrounges around the gravel, even really enjoys my company. As I rearrange the rocks, a few of which my turtles are able to move around to suit themselves, he will actually swim to my hand and rub against me. He's a friendly and happy goldfish. I understand that generally they're used to colder temperatures, but.. he adapted quite quickly and has never had any problems. I keep a close watch on him, but.. he's a happy fish. He even seems to like the turtles. He hangs out with them while they're resting on the bottom of the tank. He'll hover right over them.

Anywho, does anyone have a suggestion as to different types of plants that turtles enjoy eating that could survive in a tank? I really want to get them eating their veggies. I haven't given up, and I keep offering kale and fresh fruits and such, but they just haven't shown any interest yet. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:45:38 PM by lightordark » Logged
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:39:04 PM »

You can say he has adapted when he has lived 20-30 years, than he has adapted to the water.

And you can try some floating plants that grow quickly and will be able to grow fast enough to keep upo with his dietary needs, but I don't know much about turtle's diets....

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
phatred
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »

lightordark, i used to keep my 16 year old red ear turtle with my fish in a 75g tank, for about 10 years. he really wouldn't bother the goldfish or a handful of others. there was a couple goldfish that lived with him for about 5 years. the ones he did eat that i can remember, gouramis, silver dollars, bala sharks and a couple others. i seperated them years ago when i realized if i ever wanted to build a community tank the right way, the turtle couldn't be in it. i also used to not use a water filter and the water almost never stayed clean. after buying a fluval filter canister that sits in the water, i thought how stupid it was to never have one. the water has been crystle clear ever since. you might not have to do water changes every day if you had it. i wish you'd measure your tank to calculate how big it is.. 4 turtles plus huge fish would require 150g or more i'd say.

as far as veggies neither of my turtles are big fans either. (my other turtle i got about a year ago and lives in a 30g tank by himself) most of their diet consists of turtle pellets which have most of their requirements. i also feed them about any kind of meat you can think of. ham, turkey, beef, chicken, shrimp.

if he refuses to eat any veggie i guess there's not much you can do. anyways, good luck with them.
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

PBITAWA

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »

Once more, just in case phatred's post misleads you.  You need rehome the tropical fish and give them their own tropical tank.  Phatred, I see no good coming out of you telling people you kept fish and a turtle in a 75g, those tropicals alone would need a massive tank. 

I suggest if you have turtle questions, to go find a turtle forum. 
Aquaseafoam

Tanks: 2x75 gallon, 2x29 gal, 2x20 gal, 3x 10 gal

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »

It would be great if your friend could take the 2 sliders and put them in a 155.  that is a good size for them IMO, not huge for turtles, but ok.
As for your tank, you can take the measurements of the Length Width and Height and use the [Volume] calculator at the top of this page (Badman's recommended links) to find the volume of it. 
Oh, may I suggest getting a python for those water changes! It will make your life much easier.  Smiley
You have already received good advice about the fish... as for the turtles, just keep offering new and fresh veggies/greens until they decide to try something.  I'm sure a quick google search will provide lots of safe greens for reptiles.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"-Amanda Bloom
phatred
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:59:42 PM »

Hoots, i see no good coming out of you telling me i can't tell someone that.... That was when i was in gradeschool and as I said i seperated them once i realized I was wrong. Thanks for the advice though.
lightordark
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »

Phatred, Thanks. I've kept several types of tropicals with my turtles to, and they lasted quite a while. As far as filtration goes, I've got it pretty well covered. I have 2 duetto 100 submersables which are rated for up to 70 gallons each, a stingray filter which is rated for 30 gallons and a cascade 1000 which is rated for 120 gallons and up, as well as an under gravel filter system. The under gravel filter is the best move I've made. It really keeps the water clearer, and when I siphon the gravel, I still get the dirt out. The water doesn't get cloudy, but I really realize how much waste a turtle can make, and I'm determined to keep the water as clean as I can. I change at LEAST 5 gallons every day.

My friend set her 155 up 3 days ago, and we moved the turtles yesterday. It's a gorgeous setup. My tank is not rectangular, so the volume measurement doesn't quite work. Like I said, it was home made.. Next time I clean it out completely, which won't be till it's warm enough for the turtles to hang out outside, I'll keep track when I refill it.

I got a 50 foot long drainage tube for water changes, but when it's so cold out, my parents don't appreciate me hanging it out the window and draining it outside.. and they definitely don't want me to have the tube trailing across the house so I can fill the buckets right by the tank >.<.

I'm going to the LFS today and I'm going to ask about which aquatic plants are safe for turtles.. and goldfish, for that matter, although Fatty gets plenty of greens, as he gobbles up what I offer for the turtles, when they don't eat it.

Everyone seems so determined that goldfish can't be happy in temperate water.. but, from what I see, he's a very happy fish with no health issues. I understand that it's not usually done, but.. I don't have room for another tank, and I frankly don't want to rehome my fish. I enjoy them. I didn't want to get rid of the turtles, either, but I felt it was better for them to have their own space, as they were getting too large to stay in my tank with the other two. At least I'll get to visit them frequently, and at least my friend is more equipped to take care of them than i was when I first got them.
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

PBITAWA

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »

1. Everyone is determined because it has been determined.  Think thrive, not survive.

2. Fish do not experience happiness nor any other human emotion

I believe this thread is done now that you don't have the turtles anymore. Smiley
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 05:50:01 AM »

The original poster still has 2 out of 4 turtles.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

PBITAWA

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »

So he can go here:
http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?s=eb5482c0d2b28b111a9af531c942bc86&
or here
http://forum.petturtle.com/viewforum.php?f=1
or even here
http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support