Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2019, 06:51:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do snails get bothered?  (Read 7852 times)
deedeekaye

« on: December 19, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

I've got 3 black mollies, 5 bloodfin tetras and 2 mystery snails. The mollies and the tetras don't seem to notice each other and are fine, but the mollies seem to want to suck on the snails alot. The snails will be out crawling around and 1 or 2 mollies will come up on one and start sucking it's shell, when the mollies get close to their bodies, they close their doors and float off whatever they were on. Is this hurting the snails? I don't think the mollies are necessarily seeking them out becuase they suck on everything, I just want to make sure I'm not subjecting the snails to anything bad.
tizzlefish
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »

Mollies suck and bight on everything... did that sound dirty LOL... class, plants, and im sure snail shells

I dont have snails, but im sure its not bothering them that bad, if at all
Tee
Tired of the manly title

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:58:51 PM »

You could pay attention to the snails feelers.  When I kept Brigs with glowlight tetra and a Betta, the feelers were shorter ... but my other brigs in a tank of small fishes were really long. 

55g planted - Many endlers, 13 otos, 2 BN + 3 tweens, 1 SAE, 1 sid, 6 rosy loach, 6 badis sp. + 2 babies, 2 amano shrimps.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 12:11:09 AM »

They are nipping at their shells in search of food/algae. It won't hurt them, unless they get overly excited and bite at their body. I mix fish and snails in the majority of my tanks. Non-aggressive to semi-aggresive fish can usually be housed with Brigs. Aggressive fish and loaches (except kuhli loaches) will usually kill them. The mollies should Not kill your Brigs.

hth Smiley

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Blue-ram

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 12:16:01 AM »

Sorry to high Jack this
Debra would it be safe to have a small school of young kuhli's in with the mystery and nerite snails?

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »

Kuhli loaches are one of the few loaches that don't eat/kill them. So yes, it would be perfectly safe to keep Brigs and nerites in an aquarium with them.

hth Smiley

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Blue-ram

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:21:31 AM »

Thanks
I am going to a big FS on Thursday. Yippy!

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
deedeekaye

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »

Cool, good to know - thanks guys!

shantiandleah
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »

Mollies may not kill your snail, but you must remember that these snails are not supposed to 'die' until they're about the size of a baseball. I early on had a mystery snail which i loved very much ( i was 8-9 yo) and i kept it with just about the worst fish you can imagine Barbus tetrazona tiger barbs. Sure the barbs didn't kill it per se. But the snail at one point decided it had had enough and just closed its shell forever. Which is actually a mechanism they do adopt standardly under stress, after a while of doing this they never re-open.

I felt incredibly guilty at the time but rationalised it as 'well i'd had it a couple of years'.

I'll say that it all depends on how much the mollies like sucking on its body. But if it's frequent you should do something about it or you will loose the beauty of the mystery snail

best
shanti 
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »

Canas get baseball/softball size, not brigs. Brigs stay much smaller. Black mystery snails as sold in commercial pet stores are usually brigs, in my experience. Smiley

shantiandleah
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:17:46 PM »

Ysteb, if only for latin names... still, i'm sure you don't disagree with my point that if bothered for too long they retreat in their shell and subsequently refuse to come out....

best,
shanti
Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »

Pomacea bridgesii reach 1 1/2-2" in diameter, while Pomacea canaliculata reach up 6" in diameter.

As P. canaliculata is now illegal to ship, and P. bridgesii can be only shipped with a permit, it is rare to find P. canaliculata in shops. Most mystery snails are indeed P. bridgesii. Also, if the snail is any color besides yellow ("gold") or brownish black, then the buyer can rest assured they are recieving P. bridgesii, as P. canaliculata only come in those two color morphs.

I've never seen a snail that was so disturbed it actually starved itself out by staying in it's shell permenantly... I breed P. bridgesii. Their drive to eat is strong, and they will eventually come out. Of, we should not put the snails in the situation where they are being forced to choose between eating and being picked on... but my point is, I don't think deedeekaye's running the risk of a "suicidal snail" by keeping it with her mollies. Wink

I believe your canaliculata may simply have reached the end of it's life, shanti.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:40:32 PM by Emily » Logged
deedeekaye

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »

I had to chuckle at the 'suicidal snail' comment Smiley

We had 2 mystery snails and 1 fell out of his shell shortly after I posted. He was the less mobile of the two and I think I may have chosen an un-healthy one. Lightening is what we call the blue mystery that is left because he is ALL over the place. We're always looking at the tank wondering where lightening is now. I think lightening and the mollies have reached an understanding. They don't seem to suck his shell as much anymore and he has been holding his own with 'his' algae wafers. He sits on them so the mollies can't get them and I've also learned to distract the mollies when I sneak him a wafer. LOL
shantiandleah
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »

I will find references and prove the existence of the amazing suicidal snail (sounds like a circus flyer)...

if not, then i shall set up 4 tanks. 1 with control snails which will be unbothered. 1 with snails that I will bother with mollies. 1 snail that i will bother with a sharp stick and 1 tank just for mollies (seen as they're fun)... Once I will have recorded the beahaviour I shall publish it and name it the "shanti effect"!

yours bothered,
shanti

Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »

LOL! lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic