Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 16, 2019, 04:13:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brush or Beard Algae  (Read 4996 times)
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« on: April 21, 2006, 09:46:08 PM »

Brush or beard algae is not a typical hair algae. It's one of the most difficult algaes to rid, but it's certainly not impossible to do.

Physically remove as much as possible. You may have to trim/cut/prune plant leaves that contain a significant amount also. As indicated above, you may try a soft bristle tooth brush. This works better for hair algae, but if you are careful, you may be able to cradle plant leaves in one had while brushing them. The idea though is to remove it from the tank. Sometimes just brushing will disperse this stuff in the water column and then it will settle back down to haunt you later.

Keeping nutrients that feed this algae is a must while trying to rid your tank. This includes phosphates. Brush and beard algae loves phosphates. Check the contents label on your fish food container to see if that is contributing, and if it is, switch foods. Also test your water for phosphates and tap water also. If you are accumulating phosphates from your tap water, then I would think about placing a phosphate removing pad or pouch in your filtration loop.

If you are using liquid fertilizers for your plants, discontinue their use and after you get this under control, switch to a substrate fertilizer instead.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 08:42:32 PM by JP » Logged

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's