Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 21, 2019, 12:30:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bristlenose preferences  (Read 4867 times)
d. rose

Tanks: 20 gallon

Don't worry this fish lived to swim another day...

« on: January 01, 2008, 11:47:53 PM »

Hello,

I have one female dark colored bristlenose and 1 male albino.  Is it true that an albino and a standard bristlenose can breed?

The female has been in the tank about 8 months and the male about 3.  Besides plenty of caves and algae wafers does anyone know of so called perfect water conditions, food, and other triggers that might be employed to get them to mate?

D

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.  It's the life in your years.  ~Abraham Lincoln
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »

In my opinion, if they were going to mate, they would have.   Once my albino bns reached sexual maturity, they mate constantly.  They started mating at about 9 months to a year of age.  I'll often not see the male for 6 weeks at a time when he's tending eggs and fry, then he'll emerge for a week or two and then start the whole cycle again.  I have read that they can be picky about pairing up.  So many people keep harems, one male and multiple females. 

Also, give them some fresh cucumber a couple of times a week and some shrimp pellets.  Even though they are primarily "vegetarians," they do need some incidental protein.  When I started giving mine a little protein, I'd push a few shrimp pellets into a piece of cucumber.  Now, perhaps because of age, or their needs because they are such frequent spawners, I'm not sure, but they ravish live blackworms as well as the cucumber, and algae wafers.
Take care,
Mary.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »

The fish here may be of different species, so may not 'see" the other as a potential mate.  There are lots of species if bristlenose plecos in the hobby.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »

bristlenose is a garbage bucket description.  my son has an albino (also called chocolate) in his 125 that i gave him when it was a mere 12".  Now it is about 18".  Knowing the exact species when possible is important in keeping fish.  Not just for breeding but for maing sure you can provide the appropriate tank.

Nice place to start when attempting to identify a "bristlenose" is with Ancistrus sp.  You may also find some of the "bristlenose" in Pseudacanthicus sp. categories.  There are more options--these are just two genus you may want to look into.
d. rose

Tanks: 20 gallon

Don't worry this fish lived to swim another day...

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:55:39 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I was aware that there are several common species and the guy and my LFS knew the particular species I bought from him when adding the male, so I assumed they were the same.  I'm sure they probably just aren't meant to be!  Now I just need a bigger tank so I could add a couple of more females.  They have unexpectedly become one of my favorite fish.  I'll try the cucumber and shrimp pellets.

D

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.  It's the life in your years.  ~Abraham Lincoln
shantiandleah
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:16:49 AM »

Ancistrus specs. are really charming fish!

I actually don't know if this is good for them, but i did read in print that they liked sauted green peas (unsalted of course). Not only do they like them, ours in the pet shop went mad for them! Presumably a good protein food source. As i said, I am not sure of all the sideeffects, possibly being full of nitrogen compounds we could start to get in trouble but that's pure speculation.

I suppose the old wives/husband's maxim holds true in this case as in others: 'a lot of anything is bad for you'... except health and love of course,

best,
shanti   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation