Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2019, 05:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nerite Snails ... are these fresh water?  (Read 11898 times)
Tee
Tired of the manly title

« on: January 03, 2008, 01:18:40 AM »

http://www.franksaquarium.com/images/neritina_zebra_thorn.jpg

Zebra Thorn

http://www.franksaquarium.com/images/neritina_zebrenus.jpg

Zebra

http://www.franksaquarium.com/images/neritina_crown_thorn.jpg

Crown Thorn

http://www.franksaquarium.com/images/neritina_paralellus.jpg

Paralellus

55g planted - Many endlers, 13 otos, 2 BN + 3 tweens, 1 SAE, 1 sid, 6 rosy loach, 6 badis sp. + 2 babies, 2 amano shrimps.
Gypers
Why oh why me?

Tanks: 55, 29, 22,10.

Paradise Survivor

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:46:48 AM »

A quick google will tell you their not.

Because I said so.
daveedka
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:03:56 AM »

Nerites are either marine or brackish (I can't remember, and don't feel that googling is necessary) But they will live in freshwater. One of the things that makes them popular in Freshwater set-ups is that they will not breed in freshwater, so folks who have difficulty controlling populations can house them without worries about them replacing themselves.

Dave
Tee
Tired of the manly title

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »

Actually I remember someone here once said they are freshwater ....

55g planted - Many endlers, 13 otos, 2 BN + 3 tweens, 1 SAE, 1 sid, 6 rosy loach, 6 badis sp. + 2 babies, 2 amano shrimps.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »

They can tolerate SW, BW and Fresh. You can find some articles that state that they are, in some locations found in Freshwater in the wild. That's probably why someone would say that they are FW snails. As stated above, they can't reproduce in Freshwater. Some will insist that they live longer when the proper salt is added. I'm not sure if that's true or not. I am certain that they can live in each type of water.

HTH happy

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Tee
Tired of the manly title

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »

I just think the thorn snails look way cool.  And I read that they are very good algae eaters too.  I am tempted.  lol

Thanks. Smiley

Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »

I received two types of nerites from another member awhile back. The tiger nerites slowly died off in my freshwater tank. The "standard", plain nerites did just fine, and are still wandering around the tank, doing snaily things. Smiley Some types are probably  more sensitive to salinity issues than others, but it's just a guess on my part.

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »

IME, the Olive Nerite, Neritina reclivata (but a.k.a. Vittina usnea and that may be the the valid name) is the best of the nerites for FW.  They cannot reproduce in FW, but certainly can and does deposit eggs which will not hatch/develop/live in FW.   Those are Florida and along the Gulf coast to Texas, as well as the Caribbean.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »

Olive nerites. That's what they are. Thank you- I've been trying to remember that name for quite some time. Smiley  The tiger nerites look amazing, and if I had a bw tank I would definitely try them again. The olives are rather plain, but they just keep chugging along in their little snail existances, doing snail stuff. I was hoping they would outcompete my pest snails for food, but no such luck. They leave little white eggs everywhere, until something else eats them.  The eggs look like little sesame seeds.

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »

Tee, I've had my nerites in FW for about 4 years. I pulled them out of lab tanks, I don't know how long they were in there...but, the loaches don't eat them...don't even try.

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Ed

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »

There was a blurb in the February 2008 TFH Magazine about them Tee.  Here it is:

Nerite Snails
   Obviously these aren’t fish either, but nerites do answer the question of what snail to add to a tank without the risk of them taking over. Nerites hardly ever breed under aquarium conditions for reasons not fully understood. Better still, nerites are excellent algae eaters, and they never harm aquarium plants. Best of all, they come in a wide variety of shapes and colors.
   Nerites live in clean, fast-flowing streams and rivers, and they do not tolerate pollution in the wild or in aquaria. This can make them a bit delicate in immature tanks. But in a stable aquarium they do well enough, though few species seem to live for more than a year or two.
   One problem with nerites is that some of the species traded are brackish-water varieties, and these will not do well in freshwater aquaria. The most common of these is the olive nerite Vittina usnea, also known as Neritina reclivata. Among the true freshwater nerites are various species of Clithon, Neritina and Vittina, often sold as “batman snails,” “spiny snails,” “zebra snails,” and other extravagant and not altogether helpful common names. None of the nerites get very large—most measure about half an inch or so across the shell.

Tee
Tired of the manly title

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 09:39:38 PM »

Thanks guys.  I might give them a try. Smiley

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:33 AM »

There is nothing mysterious about breeding them.  The adults are feeding in FW, but breeding/haching requires BW to SW.  These snails all like withing reach of the sea, much as do Amano Shrimp.  No mystery there.

Nerites in general do have an advantage against biter/slurpers such as loaches which would eat them if they could.  nerites tend to expose very little of their flesh to the water column. Their shell just barely clears the glass, even when they are moving along well.  Large enough crushers (medium to large puffers, some catfish, can still grab and crush them.  Most loaches cannot.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's