Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:22:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Cherry Shrimp...carrying eggs???  (Read 7989 times)
tetralovingfamily

RIP Zippy

« on: January 03, 2008, 02:45:13 PM »

Ok, so I have this tank of RCS that (so far) is doing very well.  I noticed about 2 days ago that one of the females has a sort of "fuzzy"/"jelly" blob thing under her tail.  At first I thought she was carrying eggs, but now I am not sure.  I only found 1 picture on the internet of an RCS with eggs, and that looked more like individual eggs sort of stuck onto the under side of the tail and on the legs... now I am confused. 

I really can't make out what it is...maybe she is trying to molt and is having trouble, leading to "fuzziness" under her tail???  Maybe it is eggs and they "went bad" and got fuzzy???  Someone with some more experience with these, please give me some idea. confused

Oh, when I first noticed this, she was hanging on/laying in a floating plant right near the surface of the water and I thought she was dead.  When I moved the plant, she went swimming along just fine and hid somewhere else.  So, she has no trouble swimming.

Thanks in advance for any help!!   proud

I am the Princess!  Smiley

"Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."
-Alice M. Swaim
Corwin

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »

how old (big) is the female, my younger females look like they have nice white eggs when berried, my older ones have the sides of the tail (wish i knew the anatomical names) much redder, and therefore the eggs look yellowish and blurry

in my experience when a shrimp is ready to molt it loses almost all of its color, turns milky, then molts and a few hours later regains color.

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Markalot

United States United States

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »

Does she still have the white saddle (looks like a scrap of paper) on top of her back.  The saddle is her ovaries and when she's berried it will fade / vanish and be replaced with visible eggs / white mass on her belly.

M a r k
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:22:38 AM »

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,9974.new.html#new

Red Cherry Shrimp pic. ^^^^^

In the above linked thread go to reply #4. Click on the picture to enlarge it and look at the female, holding eggs, sitting on the rock. My females actually carry alot more eggs than that female has but you can still clearly see the eggs that she is shuffling.

That picture is now on a cd so I had to link you to it. Wink

hth happy

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
tetralovingfamily

RIP Zippy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »

Yeah, it sort of looks like that, only a bit whiter and fuzzier...  She did have the yellow "saddle" for a bit and it seems to have disappeared.  Some of the other females have the saddle now too. 

Seems like the one that was looking "fuzzy" has died... I don't know what happened to her.  I am keeping a close eye on the tank for now.  Will do some tests later today.

I do not know how old they are... some are definately older than others.  I got them from Jason B here on the board (just a few minutes away from me)  proud  , and he gave me every age from teeny, tiny (almost too small to see) to more full grown. 

I am the Princess!  Smiley

"Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."
-Alice M. Swaim
Corwin

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

it may have been a bad molt tetra, ive had a few die of that Sad i dunno enough abotu shrimps to suggest anythign else though sorry

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman