Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 21, 2019, 12:35:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gourami only tank?  (Read 19343 times)
annie

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »

Ok, I will be euthenizing him shortly.  Could it be fish TB?  Because that is scary if it is as there is a chance it could spread to humans.  Odd question, but should I do an autopsy on him?  Would my untrained eye be able to identify anything useful?

Thanks!
Kim
pita sandwhich
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »

no, without a microscope I doubt you would be able to see anything useful.

the tb in fish (mycobacterium) usually manifests as a rash. It could get very serious, isn't unheard of...but it is rare. 

Wash up well after being in your tank if you're concerned, there are also gloves you can buy that are safe for aquariums.

annie

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »

ok, thanks.  I will not attempt an autopsy then.  Maybe I will ask my neighbor, who is a veternarian, for a pair of the gloves he uses when he works "inside" of cows, to use when I clean my tank.

shantiandleah
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »

yes TB is a rare disease and very rare that you would be able to diagnose it as you will need a microscope to be sure. I listed it as a list of ailments which can produce pop eye.

you shouldn't worry about special gloves, the important thing is to remove the ailing fish before he dies and does then infect the tank with bacteria produced by the rotting corpse. Normal kitchen gloves will more than suffice....

i'm also not even sure that fish TB is transferable to humans

I'm very sorry,
shanti
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »

"Fish" TB, Mycobacterium marinum, is transmissible to humans and is a nasty condition with difficult and prolonged treatment.    Goggle will give thousand of refs.

One highly general one:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:MxBDUtFoQAcJ:dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/oxford/research/fwh/stripedbass/factsheet.pdf+Mycobacterium+marinum&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=firefox-a

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
shantiandleah
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »

cheers RTR, still a new pair of kitchen gloves will guarantee safe handling of her dying fish... presumably no need for the vet gloves...

best,
shanti
Kim
pita sandwhich
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 06:10:02 PM »

I was concerned that kitchen gloves might have something on them that would hurt the tank. If you get some Annie, check the package to make sure they aren't treated with "something". 

Honestly though, I too have googled and heard the horror stories, but it's very uncommon. I guess if you want to be extra careful though... I can't argue with that.  Smiley

annie

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 02:14:50 AM »

Thank you all for the advice!

I did put the poor blue gourami out of his misery...he put up a fight when we tried to catch him, and I almost changed my mind, but after watching him suffer for some many days, I felt that it should be done.  I know whenever I have had to put my "land" animals to sleep, I always had doubts until it was done.

I am using the vet "ob gloves" for water changes, both for my protection and the fishes.  I figure that way I am not putting any hand lotions/soap into the water, and I don't have to worry about any diseases (yea, I googled fish TB and read too many horror stories too).  I chose the vet gloves really only for 2 reasons  1) they go all the way up my arm, so I don't have to worry about water getting into them   2) they were sterile (although I am reusing them now) and I could get a pair next door from my vet friend (he even delivered) as opposed to driving 35 minutes to the nearest Walmart (and they were free).

**New question/problem:  my female gold gourami (who had the ick spots), now has very frayed and split fins.  I have been gone for the last 48 hours at work (my hubby fed them while I was gone), and it only happened since I have been gone.  My other female gourami (opaline) has perfect looking fins.  My gold was top fish and is twice the size of my opaline, but now I have been seeing my opaline pecking at her a lot.  They are the only 2 fish in the tank.  What do I do????********

To treat the ick, my tank is at a steady 82 degrees, and has 2 tsp of salt per gallon in it.  I did a 50 percent water change last Friday, before adding the salt.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation