Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 12, 2019, 04:30:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: frog and snail questions  (Read 3509 times)
lewis
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »

hi,what do frogs and snails do for your tank? and which is best a frog or a snail?and which species of the frog or snail is best?

thanks again

lewis
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »

lewis,

People put frogs and snails in their tanks because they like them.  Snails have been rumored to eat algae (they will eat some, particularly on the glass) but honestly, they make more mess than they clean up.  Getting a snail to eat algae or clean your tank is like getting a 5 year old to help you clean the house.  I thoroughly enjoy watching snails in the tank; they are very entertaining.

The most common snails kept by aquarists are brigs, spixis and Malaysian trumpet snails.  Brigs come in lots of different colors and get to be the size of a gold ball, spixis are striped and get to be the size of a dime.  MTS are some use in aerating sand substrate and preventing anaerobic pockets from forming. All breed prolifically and will quickly overrun your tank.

The two types of frogs common to the hobby are African Dwarf Frogs and African Clawed Frogs.  Stay away from the ACF - they get large and can harass fish, and should really be kept in their own tank.  ADFs are cute, little, funny and an interesting addtion to your community tank *if* you can find a source with healthy ones.

Hope that helps.

In the future, please consider doing a little research on your own before posting questions.

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:32:27 AM by maura » Logged

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »

Welcome to Badmans Lewis! Smiley

I have provided you with two links that might help you understand one type of snail and one type of dwarf frog. Your question can't be easily answered as it is a bit vague. There are alot of different types of pet snails and frogs. This is just a couple but maybe it will help.

Pomacea Bridgessi Profile

aka - Brig./Apple Snail

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile92.html  

African Dwarf Frog profile - ADF

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile99.html  

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
lewis
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »

thanks alot maura and debra,you've giving me some very good imformation and advice Wink  Smiley

thanks

lewis
Blue-ram

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »

I had ADF's with my Brigs they were fun to watch.  I bought my Brigs online and had them sexed.  I did not want to deal with eggs or baby snails everywhere.  I love when the snails float to the bottom of the tank they are so graceful. Then again some times they are clods. The colors are cool too  I have to feed mine sinking pellets because there is not enough for them to eat other wise.

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation