Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:25:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kuhli question before they get here  (Read 8004 times)
Blue-ram

« on: January 10, 2008, 01:55:15 AM »

4 Pangio cuneovirgata Kuhli should be here next week.  I have several questions of things I must of missed in my reading.

Do they dig or hide in and under things more (which)? What do they prefer to rest in and where? 

I have a thin layer of very small gravel in the tank know.  I keep it thin for ease of vacuuming once a month.  There seems to be a lot of mulm I pull up and was wondering if this is not a good thing for the Kuhli's to be digging in and that I should vac more often. 

How thick should the gravel be for the Kuhli's?

I have a standard inlet to my Fluval.  I am not sure what size space they can get into.

Are these guys sensitive to any drugs (for future knowledge)? 

How many sinking wafers should I use to feed them and my two oto's and 3 male brigs?

Your thoughts would be appreciated   Thanks   

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:33:39 AM »

My Kuhli like to have things to hide under, be it flat stones, or wood. If you have gravel they might not actually burrow into it, just push around the top to get at food. They love having plants too.

My filter intake had 2.5mm gaps and my small kuhli continued to swim into the filter. I had to put a mesh net over the intake. A couple did get munched by the impeller.

My Kuhli love sinking pellets, especially shrimp.

They are such a fun little fish.

HTH

Without friends everything is for nought.
Blue-ram

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:39:20 AM »

I guess I will have to figure out a mesh for the intake.  I don't like sponges they get to much deitris on them.  They do sound fun.  I can't wait!  They have been in quartine for 2months before the seller would ship them to me.

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
tetralovingfamily

RIP Zippy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:17:55 AM »

I have found that my Kuhlis love to hide in the holes and crevices of my driftwood, as well as in the bottoms of my plants.  They also prefer sand over gravel, as the gravel will tend to injure them.  Remember, they are fish without scales like other fish, and they have those little "wiskers" that they use to feel all around the bottom to find their food.

They do like to hide a lot during the day (usually), but when they are out they will swim all sorts of crazy ways... they are a ton of fun to watch!

I am the Princess!  Smiley

"Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."
-Alice M. Swaim
Blue-ram

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:25:26 AM »

I guess I will go to the lfs to see what substrate I can find.  They will have lots of driftwood to hide in.  I have 5 different shape pieces.  Along with a lava rock with holes. Do They hang out in the floating plants?

VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 02:59:04 AM »

If you do chose sand over gravel, check out your garden supply store. I got my 0-3mm fine sand from my garden supply store for $5 for 25Lt bag. Then I rinsed it in a 20Lt bucket before putting it in my tank. My LFS had 25Lt sand for $40. A big difference.

If you go with gravel, make sure it is rounded stones Smiley

Good luck.

Without friends everything is for nought.
tetralovingfamily

RIP Zippy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 03:56:02 AM »

I guess I will go to the lfs to see what substrate I can find.  They will have lots of driftwood to hide in.  I have 5 different shape pieces.  Along with a lava rock with holes. Do They hang out in the floating plants?

Definately go to the local home improvement store if you decide on sand... waaaayyy cheaper.  I got a 50 pound bag of play sand for like $3.

Kuhlis will not be hanging around the floating plants... they will be on the bottom of the tank most of the time, with some swimming up and down the side glass.  They like the bottom, as that is where they eat. 

They will eat the left over flakes that go to the bottom, but will also like other treats like bloodworms & brine shrimp (I do frozen), algae disks, cucumber, peas with outer skin removed, etc.  (Sorry if I told you this before, I forget who I tell what  LOL)

I am the Princess!  Smiley

"Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."
-Alice M. Swaim
Blue-ram

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:03:24 AM »

Question will always be asked again and again by new to situations.  We thank you all for having the patients to repeat back to us again and again.
And no you did not tell me this info and I needed to here it thanks again.  No one has mentioned other foods.

Wizzy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 01:17:38 PM »

I've got half sand and half gravel Blue Ram, and mine definately prefer the sandy end of the tank . They scoot through it like little jet ski's. Are you getting the banded ones ?

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]

tonights forcast...it will be dark
tizzlefish
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »

Can you vacuum sand, or how do you clean it??? Ive been thinking about switching
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 02:33:41 PM »

You can gravel vac it, Tyler. It takes some time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
tizzlefish
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »

ok sweet

Thanks Taylor
Blue-ram

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »

Ok I am dense!  When I vac the small gravel I have now it swirls up the vac tube.  Sand is much more fine. Yes is is bigger then the mulm but why wouldn't all the sand go into the vac. I am missing something in this concept.  Do you push the vac deep into the sand or just do the top.  Can someone be patient with me because I just can't see this without all the mulm and sand in the magnuim canister vac I use to clean with.

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »

the sand might seem to be as fine as mulm but really isn't..or if it is it's heavier. Smiley 

with sand, keep your tube tilted, the sand will fall to the lower side of the tube and slide out while the mulm will continue up the tube.  Of course...some sand does get sucked up but it's not a significant amount.

I don't push deep into sand because the debris seems to sit on top of it more anyway, I just stir the surface around.

turtletoes

United States United States

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »

If you do a yahoo search for vacuuming or cleaning aquarium sand, you should find some info. I dont remember the site, but the1st one I clicked on had a video instructing you how to easily clean the sand and keep the sand from getting into the sink if you are using a python. (You just put a bucket under the water flowing out of the faucet)

My kuhlis eat everything that falls their way. Blood worms are their favorite. They'll especially go crazy for them if they are soaked in garlic guard beforehand. I have my kuhlis in my planted rainbow tank that has a fluorite substrate. They do fine with it. I have kept other loaches with a gravel substrate and not had any problems. They seem to be very adaptable.

As for the filter, luckily I guess my loaches have been smarter than average. Smiley I have one kuhli that is skinnier and longer than the rest. He is a little ADD, waaaay more active than the others and therefore gets into trouble sometimes. I have 2 over-flow boxes for my wet dry. I was worried that they may explore them, and of course the skinny one did the 1st night. He got into the over-flow box, went thru the siphon tube and was stuck in the outer box of the over-flow for who knows how long. I found him crazinly swimming in the heavy current in there. Luckily he did not make it thru the sponge filter and into the wet dry itself. I just coaxed him back the way he came and he has not tried that again.

Have fun, I LOVE loaches!! Smiley
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM