Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 21, 2019, 10:03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many panda and albino cories for 20 gallon tall  (Read 6616 times)
soulm8salways

« on: January 10, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »

Hi,
 We just started up a new 20 gallon tall for our school of 8 cherry barbs and our male crowntail betta (the betta was previously in a 5 gallon by his lonesome but seems happy for the company) The 20 gallon replaced the 10 gallon they were previously in.

We decided to add some panda cories but the pet store only had two so we also added 4 albino cories in hopes the panda's would feel less alone. This makes 6 cories altogether. We are wondering if this is all we can have or would it be okay to add 2 more panda cory if we can ever find them at the LFS again? The pandas and the albino seem to enjoy each other's company but the panda's segregate themselves more.

We are feeding Ed's sinking shrimp pellets, Ed's algae wafers and tetra sinking tablet for bottom feeders (the rich mix) and any of Ed's various flake foods that manages to find it's way to the bottom. The cories are eating well, but definitely not finishing off the sinking tablets and algae wafers. We only do one or maybe two of these a day and will probably try to half that or more depending on advice as it is definitely leaving plenty on our substrate when we gravel vac.

Look forward to advice and any information we might not know about the cories. They are so cute and lively.

"Faith began this journey, Love will sustain" 45 gallon 6 yo yo loaches, albino bristlenose pleco 29 gallon peaceful community tank with 10 neon tetra, 2 gold barbs, 1 male betta, 6 albino cories, bristlenose pleco
James From Cali
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:07:39 PM »

I would get at least one more Panda Cory to make them feel comfortable. All Corydoras need to be in a shoal of at least 3 of the same species.
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »

3 is an interesting number.  almost as if it was created by pet stores or others to make people feel good about what they were doing.  Probably just an old number from the past though.  Schooling fish do better with schools--6+.
James From Cali
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »

In a 20g he could probably do at least 4 or 5 in there, but I would not go under 3 fish. If he got rid of the Albino's then he can pull off about 8 or 9 Panda's.
Hollyfish2000

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »

A 20-gallon tall isn't going to have a lot of "bottom." Do you really think the OP can go with 8 or 9 pandas? I'm curious because I have a 33-gallon tall and have 5 cories and it seems plenty of cories for the real estate.
tizzlefish
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »

maybe you can try 8-9 julie cories because they are small. but since you already have pandas and albinoes, try four of each IMO
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:21:59 PM »

i would cap the cory population with what you have.  Maybe next time get the 4 and have them order more so you can come back and pick up the rest of the boys.

There is no way i would go with 8-9 cories in that size tank.

My only interest was in that 3 specimen count for the schooling fish that was provided.  It is not one that is geared to the fish.  Rather it is simply a compromise for the fishkeeper.  And not a good one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation