Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 24, 2014, 09:39:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuttlebone for snails  (Read 4060 times)
gloria77503

Tanks: 1 125-gallon; 1 5-gallon, 1 30 gallon hex; 3 1-1/2 gallons, 1 14-gallon, 1 40-gallon, 1 29-gallon, 1 20 gallon

So many fish; so little time and space and money.

« on: January 10, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »

When I was at Petsmart last night, looking for a calcium supplement for my snails, the lady who usually works in the fish department told me I could use regular cuttlebone that they sell for birds.   I bought a 2-pack because it was only $1.99, got home and checked the internet.  A lot of snail sites recommended bird cuttlebone for calcium for snails, saying just to put it in the aquarium - wedge it in the substrate or wedge it in an ornament so that it stays down. 

Tonight when I got off work, I broke the cuttlebone into pieces and put a bit in each aquarium, but now I'm wondering - will it hurt the fish?  Will it raise the pH of the water (my water is around 7.5 pH). 

Has anyone else ever used cuttlebone for their snails?  It's cheap, if it works!

Thanks.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - Douglas Adams
daveedka
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:33:12 PM »

cuttlebone will dissolve slowly enough that you will probably not notice a change in pH. The snails will graze on it to get calcium.

In a technical sense it will raise pH if you aren't above 7.6-7.8 already, but it would certainly not hurt your fish or snails in any way and will likely help them.

I've used it for many years in exactly the manner that was reccomended to you.

Dave
gloria77503

Tanks: 1 125-gallon; 1 5-gallon, 1 30 gallon hex; 3 1-1/2 gallons, 1 14-gallon, 1 40-gallon, 1 29-gallon, 1 20 gallon

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:58:52 PM »

Thanks, Dave.  It sounded reasonable.  Right now, mine is just floating around because I haven't gotten around to wedging the pieces in anywhere.  Anyway, thanks for the reassurance!

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - Douglas Adams
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

For the snails to be able to graze it well, it really need to be fastened down, soft side exposed.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Corwin

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:39:16 AM »

gonna hijack this for second:

would cuttle bone be good for shrimp as well as snails, as i know shrimp need calcium..i use kent's marine..but it is hard to dose for a freshwater as the directions as only for saltwater tanks (i always worry if i put too much or not enough for my shrimp n snails)..and cuttle bone sounds much easier

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
gloria77503

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:54:45 AM »

Thanks, RTR!  I will go about fastening them down sometime this weekend.

Corwin, I googled cuttlebone and shrimp, and it seems it's okay for shrimp, too, although for some reason, the people thought it was expensive.  I don't see it as expensive at all.   

daveedka
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »

I've never seen my shrimp graze the cuttlebone, but that doesn't mean they don't. I use Calcium Sulphate from Gregg Watson for my Calcium additions. It's much cheaper and somewhat easier than the KEnt liquid. Either way The shrimp do not need seem to need as much as the snails, but neither does well without plenty.

Gregg Watsons store is http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/store/categories.php

Calcium Sulphate dissolves very easily, and does not alter pH. IF you want to Raise the pH and add calcium Both, Calcium carbonate would work.

I add the Calcium Sulphate powder to my snail food, as well as dose it in the tanks.

I guess that just added to the hijack, sorry Gloria.

Dave
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »

I've been keeping cuttlebone in my tanks for the shrimp and snails for a couple of years now and haven't seen any adverse affects in using it.
Take care,
Mary.
Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »

I use cuttlebone too, no ill affects. Smiley

Also... I saw some cuttlebone that was "berry" flavored for birds... and I wonder if my brigs would like it...
Corwin

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »

thanks for the answer and letting hijack the thread guys Smiley

@em..the berry flavored might have harmful additives though...cause i doubt a squid naturally tastes like berries

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »

That's true, but if it's safe for birds to eat (and birds are sensitive to toxins, generally speaking), I figured it would be ok for snails.

I haven't tried it, though! So nobody do it and say I said it was ok! lol I'll do some more research on it.
gloria77503

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »

:-)

I don't mind thread hijacks at all.  I'm glad we comobined the shrimp with the snails in the cuttlebone thread. 

Yes, the lady at Petsmart told me there were banana flavored cuttlebones for birds, too, but that I probably would do better sticking with the plain ones. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation