Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 20, 2019, 05:05:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help save a dying(?) ghost shrimp  (Read 10520 times)
ChicagoFins
« on: January 12, 2008, 03:26:02 AM »

I have 1 ghost shrimp who has had a rough last 48 hours in a 5 gallon tank set up 2 weeks ago. His tankmates are 2 zebra danios and a red wag platy, all of whom are doing fine. The tank has live plants and I've been doing 25% water changes every 1 or 2 days while it cycles. Of course, the LFS neglected to tell me zebra danios and platys probably would enjoy much more space, but here I am making the best of it.

The shrimp was most at home, actively swimming, hanging out on plants or on top of his rock, or swimming right along with the fish. But recently his color turned an opaque white, and yesterday morning he was sitting on the bottom and not moving other than arching his back. He jumped when I nudged him with a net but otherwise remained motionless. Thinking he was sick, I moved him into a large bowl with fresh water to relieve whatever stress he might be under. He made it thru the night but still seemed lethargic. At this point I thought he might be molting (which might explain the arched back and color change), but this seems an awful long time for molting, but since I've never seen this I'm not sure. When I returned him to the tank this morning he crawled to a safe place under his rock and was still there tonite. Now he's not even moving his "belly fins" but I can still see his little mouth moving and heart beating.

I'm afraid he's on his way to shrimpy heaven but thought I'd get some opinions while I make a last ditch effort to save my entertaining little buddy. All the other fish are doing just fine, lots of swimming, eating well (feeding once daily so as not to pollute the tank) and good in color.

Tank details: Ammonia 0-.5 (spiked last week but water change helped), pH 7.8, alkalinity 160-180, chloring 0, hardness 75, nitrates high but less than 20, nitrites 5-10. Water changes 25-30% last 3 days. Temp 74 degrees.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:55:50 AM »

IME, shrimp do not do well at all with any detectable ammonia or nitrite in the water.  You need to monitor those and do larger partials to keep them at undetectable levels if you want to save the shrimp.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
darkangelchrisandra
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »

i'm sorry Sad it sounds like the little guy is haveing a tuff time molting.. the coloring of him is the same some of the ones i had before they died... Sad i hope your little guy gets better.... and i know you probably don't want to hear this but those fish probably won't ast very long in that tank with it being so small... platys should be kept in groups.. they are scoling fish. and the zebrias i've heard a smilar thing(i have not keep those so you will have to wait for some one else to come along on them i guess) if i were you i would get a bigger tank for the fish, and get more shimpy friends for your 5 gallon... imo  also get calcium drops, and idione*i bleve thats the stuff i know its something like that but i might be wrong...* it helps them devolpe a stroger shell, and most of the time helps with molting... ime
dianafaye
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »

::waves:: danio owner here-

Yes, zebra danios are schooling fish, and should be kept to a minimum of 6, which I believe is the general rule for most schooling fish. At least your tank is not overstocked at this point, which is a good thing, so you can cycle your tank with the fish you have for now but they should either be returned or moved to a larger tank- maybe a 10 gal if you want to stick to just 1 species of a small school (6 danios should be fine) or a 20 gal at least, which would be my choice. Bigger is better.
I do hope your shrimp pulls through. I hear they are very sensitive to ammonia and should only be added to already cycled tanks. If you can hold on to him until your 5gal is cycled, you could return him to a stable home and give him a couple more shrimpy friends, and possibly a betta.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation