Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:22:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Endlers Livebearers  (Read 8876 times)
tizzlefish
« on: January 13, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »

I have never seen one in person before, but i have heard they are expensive. But when i went to a pet store called Aquarium Concepts, they were selling them as feeder fish!!!  jaw 1o for only 1 dollar!!! Anyway they are pretty cool but probably not for me, is this normal though?
Aquaseafoam

Tanks: 2x75 gallon, 2x29 gal, 2x20 gal, 3x 10 gal

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »

They may look similar to endler's, but those feeders are actually wild type guppies.  Once you see some real Endler's in person you will be able to tell the difference.  Endler's colors are much more vibrant and they have a slightly different body shape.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"-Amanda Bloom
tizzlefish
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »

o... I have never seen feeder guppies with color though. Well it was cool for awhile.. LOL
Aquaseafoam

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »

Don't worry, I thought the same thing about feeders when I first heard about endler's livebearers.  I have seen some amazing looking wild guppies, they could have some fancy guppy blood in them too.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"-Amanda Bloom
Cheesejawa
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

you all realise that endlers are just a type of guppy and not a different species
Zach

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »

endler are very pretty

heres a vid of one.
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JIE7lNsSy8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JIE7lNsSy8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Aquaseafoam

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »

Ah cheese, a topic of much debate.
However, the endler's livebearer has been classified and has its own scientific name now, Poecilia wingei.

Zach

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:42:43 PM »

sorry this link should work.  Smiley

gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:09:27 AM »

I keep a colony of endlers.Much prettier than feeder guppies.
3 major differences from guppies
The color is more metallic,while guppies are more pastel
Endlers are more active than guppies if you can imagine that lol
Endlers are less likely to eat thier fry than guppies

Waiting will fill
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »

I also keep Endlers (Pure) and must agree that what is being sold as feeders, are NOT Endlers. 

These are mine
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,8062.0.html

What get's me is when the LFS sells "Wild Type Gullies" ( should say Guppies Smiley ) as Endlers  Angry
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:38:23 AM by Shari » Logged

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
daveedka
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

I have kept and raised both and there are very distinct markings on male eldlers not shared by Guppies. IT is also critical that they not be mixed as they can and will cross breed. The females I can tell apart most days, but do not mix them for fear of losing track. Currently I ahve a good number of these little jewels, and always have fry. I find the endlers to be far more interesdting than Guppies (Guppies aren't bad though). Wild type guppies as are often used as feeders are similar in size and shape, the markings are still telltale to someone who has kept both.

Dave
RaGiNg~GnOme

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »

i saw some male endlers at Big Als last time i was there...they were in with the misc male guppies 2/$6...there were about 10 or so in the tank...i almost bought them on the spot as it's the first time i've seen them for sale, then remembered that the only place i could safely put them is in with my mollies...figure they'd get eaten in any other tank Sad  I wouldn't know where to get females, either....the closest you could get i think would be female wild type guppies, but then they'd be hybrids :S

Argument and discussion are two extremely similar actions. The only differences are intent and tone Smiley
tizzlefish
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »

O WOW Shari those are beautiful  Smiley

Definately not what I saw... The feeders had only one or two marks per fish so definately not Endler's
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 09:26:52 PM »

Nice Job getting pics of the finned lightning bolts Shari lol
Ill have to try that.

Waiting will fill
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 11:37:27 AM »

Thanks, Tizzle.  It's amazing how easy they are and yet some stores just won't carry them????

If you succeed, let me know, Gomez Smiley  Took bribery and LOTS of photos for those Wink

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's