Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:22:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: parkinsoni rainbowfish??  (Read 6185 times)
turtletoes

United States United States

« on: January 14, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »

Here's a pic of one of my rainbowfish. It was sold to me as a "parkinsoni" rainbowfish, but I have of course found some fish pics that look very different from this guy online-but quite a few that look a lot like him. just want to verify the species. I have a male and female of this species that I would like to breed, but want to make sure I've got the correct name.
Thanks
~Lori

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]

don't worry, be happy
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »

May be a hybrid.  Post question and picture on www.bowheads.org.  The members there are really good at rainbow identification.
Take care,
Mary.
turtletoes

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »

Thanks Mary.
I will post all these fish on there, but I have had trouble with my registration on that site. I've tried a couple times to register and it didnt work. Now, I think it says I have an account, but I cant access it. Dont remember exactly what it said, just remember I had troubles. I dont have time to play with it now, but I will possibly later.
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »

Thanks Lori,
I'll go take a look and see if I can help.
Take care,
Mary.
mduros

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

Your account looks good to me.  I pm'd Roan.  I also saw that you were on and listed as registering.  I put up a welcome note to you in case you get through.
Take care,
Mary.

P.S.  Don't become a stranger here.  I just thought with all of your rainbow specific detailed questions that the other site may serve you better right now.
turtletoes

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »

No worries on me going away. I think I'm here to stay. lol. Thanks for suggesting trying bowheads again. I'm sure I'll never run out of questions or comments for this site. Rainbows are my main addiction, but I have many other aquatic inhabitants too. Smiley  The reason I thought it would be good to post those questions on here as well as bowheads is you never know who is going to be where. And, who knows, maybe someone will see the pics and become addicted to bows too. Smiley
Thanks again
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
mduros

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »

LOL!  No kidding!  A couple of people here will confess to getting some rainbows based on pictures I posted...  Smiley  I love all of my fish, but I really love my bows.  If I ever move out of the apartment I live in and get something bigger that I own myself, I'll have a myriad of bow tanks.  That and my other dream is having a tank of honey gouramis.  I just love those little sweethearts.  They get aggressive when spawning but can't really do too much harm because they're so small.
Take care,
Mary.
turtletoes

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »

Are those honey gouramis the ones that are like a half an inch long?? My LFS got some of those in when they ordered some rainbowfish of all things. ha ha. Those little guys are SO cool!! I am very tempted to set up a little tank for the mini fishies. Smiley Gotta get this rainbow breeding this figured out 1st tho Smiley

I just looked up honey gouramis, and the ones that my LFS has are the "sparkling gouramis" they typically only get to be 1 inch, but can get to be 1 1/2 inches max. They are SO cute and Tiny!! The ones at my LFS have not grown in the last couple months since they got them in by mistake. They are all around 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of an inch. Have you seen these before?? I love mini stuff. Smiley
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
mduros

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »

Yep.  Those are probably them.  I had one for about 2 years and looked all over for more.  He died and then I found them at 3 different shops all of a sudden.  I bought 6, 1 died, and out of the 5 I have, 2 are males, 2 are females and 1 is unknown.  I keep them in my 55 gallon tetra tank.  1 pair spawned about 10 days ago and the male has been aggressively protecting the nest.  However, as I posted in other threads, thankfully they are so small that they can't do much damage to the other fish, a little stress maybe but they know to keep away from him now unless they risk it for the wrigglers...  biggrin

A pair doing their spawning ritual, sorry for the reflection.  This is actually the male that is protecting the nest now, the other male has very different spawning colors.  Must be a different color variant.

Take care,
Mary.
turtletoes

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »

Wow Mary. Thats an amazing display of spawning colors. And, BTW, is that quote new?? I didnt notice your quote until just now and was like, Hey, I know those words, then the melody came to me. ha ha. Now, I'm listening to the S&M music. Smiley Havent listened to these guy's music in a Long time even tho Metallica is my alltime fav. Well, tied for #1 with Pink Floyd and Tool(you can have 3 fav bands, right?? Smiley. Couldnt imagine life without their music. I've seen them a couple times in concert(Metallica and Tool that is-missed out on Floyd). The 1st song I ever tried to learn on the guitar was fade to black. I still havent mastered that. lol.
Ok, I really need to get some stuff done. Sad but it will be better now with some good old music in the background! Smiley
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation