Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 24, 2019, 12:58:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cycling using filter media from old tank Q  (Read 9467 times)
lara
« on: January 14, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »

Hello all,
I was wondering if somebody could help me out. Im trying to cycle(with out fish) a new 20g tank at the moment,feeding it fish flakes. It has been running for 5 days now with very hight nitrate readings. I do daily 10-15% water changes.It has new gravel, plants, slate, driftwood and airstone. Both of my tanks have juwel canister filter with 2 blue sponges,green sponge,carbon sponge and filter floss. My Q is, if I was to swap one of the blue sponges in my oldish tank (4 months running) for the new one in my new tank would it disturbed the bacteria living in old tank to much and cause a crash? Or could I use the old filter floss instead and it would do same job? also I have added the kick start bacteria stuff to new tank.
Thanks for any help  smile
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:23:12 PM »

You can swap some of the filter media around no problem..... but you also need to put a fish or two in the new tank to keep feeding the bacteria.

Fish food isn't quite the right stuff.  You need ammonia, and fish food doesn't have any.  Fish waste does.  What sort of kick start bacteria stuff have you added?  If you really don't wan to add fish yet, use PURE household ammonia.  But honestly with a filter media swap, you could safely toss in a small # of fish.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
lara
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »

Thanks for answering my Q! I used Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Zyme "Improves the development of the biological filter and helps clean a dirty aquarium."  Im trying to start a dwarf puffer tank so I didnt want to cycle with a fish or fishes becuse then I would be stuck with them. But its great to know I can do the filter thing no prob. I havent tried looking for ammonia yet but I guess if it dosnt sort its self out after the swap i'l have to give it a go! Thanks again proud
Wizzy

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »

lara, i have juewel tanks too. I swop the filter material around to start a new tank off. I tend to clean out my sponges ( rinse them in tank water ) once a month, but if I am starting a new tank, I let the bacteria build up , then swop over a blue sponge and the top filter floss to the new tank and replace it in the established tank with the new ones. It has worked for me, along with checking the water and regular changes.

tonights forcast...it will be dark
lara
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:38:20 AM »

Cool thanks Wizzy. Im full of confidence now. I love the juwel tanks, there so easy to look after!   lol
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »

I used Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Zyme "Improves the development of the biological filter and helps clean a dirty aquarium." 

Using the media from an established filter is all you need.  In part the sentence is reassuring information to a hobbyist.  In part simple advertising schmaltz.

Stress zyme helps how?  what does it do to clean a dirty tank?  or how does it help establish a biological filter?  It keeps morphing.  The hype several years ago was the aloe vera to help sooth and heal fish. 

It is primarily a water conditioner.  An additive to eliminate the chlorine and chloramine from your water supple.  All the other stuff is interesting.  A simple water conditioner and routine cleaning and maintenance will do the same thing.  And, simle water conditioners are usually far less expensive.
lara
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »

The hype several years ago was the aloe vera to help sooth and heal fish. 
You mean aloe vera dosnt really sooth fish! all that wasted money spent on water conditioner with added aloe vera Sad  was your opinion on other products and conditioners made with 100% natural herbs? waste of time??
Thanks Sully
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's