Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 15, 2019, 01:44:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creepy Crawlies  (Read 58272 times)
Corwin

« on: January 18, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »

ok so its been a while since i have had these *things* in my tank, but with my RCS colony not multyplying like it should i am wondering if these guys may be causing it.

the pictures makem look like worms..but they look like bugs, they have legs, and swim, and their body can curl around like a shrimp, but they have a point instead of a tail, and i can only ever see 4 legs...they remind me a lot of a flea actually..cept they in water. i have two kinds, green ones and clear ones, i am assuming a difference in sexes here? it also has an exoskeleton that is banded/ribbed a bit like shrimp.

-edit- it is *not* a water flea, looked those up already...

can someone help me ID these creepy crawlies, and tell me if they could be responsible for no new baby shrimps (seeing as i always have 3-4 berried RCS at a time..and its been almost 2 months since ive seen the first berried one).

i think i first started seeing them when i got my hornwort and anacharis from a local nursery ^ ^

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »

Freshwater copepods is my guess.  Harmless food items.
Corwin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »

hoots, they are 5mm long..i thought copepods only got to be 1-2mm max?

i dunno, your guess is better than any of mine so far ^ ^

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »

I think your little dudes may be Gammarus pseudolimnaeus.  That would make it an amphipod which are bigger than copepods.
Corwin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »

hmm looked those guys up didn't find much, but they look a *Lot* like all the 'gammarus' (no subname) pics ive been able to find ^ ^ could be them lol ^ ^ thanks a lot hoots, this is the closest ive been able to find Smiley it looks like teeny green/white ones of the gammarus species..most pics i seen are brown ^ ^ but may well be another species Smiley

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »

Look like scuds to me (fresh water amphipods).  They come in a zillion species and can actually get to be quite large.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Corwin

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:11:13 AM »

thats them allright ^ ^

do they pose any danger to anything?

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »

I don't think they do Corwin.  You have some new pets...  biggrin
Take care,
Mary.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »

They are most likely the reason your shrimp are no longer breeding successfully though.  They probably eat shrimp eggs.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Corwin

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

how do they manage that? Cherry red Shrimp carry their eggs with themselves till birth, and the fry are benthic (miniuature shrimp)? i can understand ghost shrimp as those have larvae for a few days..but RCS?

if they are the cause however..how do i get rid of them?

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »

I didn't find anything talking about what they eat, just what to feed them to...  I would think that Karen would know better than the rest of us.  But for what it's worth I didn't see anything talking about possible hazards of having them in your tank.
Take care,
Mary.
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »

They look really cool, send some to me.  proud

Without friends everything is for nought.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »

They are mostly carnivorous.  They eat zooplankton, which your shrimp eggs qualify as.  How they are eating them with Mom trying to guard them is out side of my knowledge.

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 11:48:20 PM »

Female shrimp don't 'guard" the eggs as some fish do, they are attached to her swimmerets, aka pleopods.  To get the eggs, the female must be eaten herself.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Corwin

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:22 AM »

RTR that means these guys (amphropods/scuds) can't eat the eggs right? (i always ask redundant questions sorry, but i like to know *for sure*

would they eat the baby shrimp however?

vinson, i would if i could, i have no way to catch them, they hide *in* the substrate when i try. however i know of a bigger scud (.5-1 inch or so) that you can find from hobbyists who breed/keep them on purpose

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 09:44:09 AM »

SFAIK, scuds are primarily scavengers - but certainly eat tiny lifeforms.  Size is everything - if the baby shrimp are in the right size range, they could be eaten.  The eggs are protected, the babies are not.  They don't like light, so are harder to see/capture in a lighted tank.  Any predator that could and would eat the scuds will do the same for the shrimp.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Corwin

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »

thanks RTR it would explain the shrimps being ever-berried but rarely seeing baby shrimp...i think what i'll do is when my sis gets her 10 gal i will move all the shrimp in that one (only the shrimp..and filter of course), then give her my old one so she can have the amphipods and w/e fish she gets can eat them and have a good snack...then i will have a snail-less, amphipod-less tank with just RCS in it!

i have counted at times 20+ of these scud things..but they always going in/out of the substrate so i bet its like MTS, i have a few 100 w/out seeing it lol

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »

What if they are in the filter too? That's a nice dark place to hide... Just a thought...

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Corwin

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 08:12:04 PM »

What if they are in the filter too? That's a nice dark place to hide... Just a thought...

my filter intake has a sponge wrapped around it so nothing can get into it (i hope) i did this hoping i would not hack baby shrimp to pieces....this gets me wondering though:

which of the two sponges has the bacteria, the one on the intake or the one in the filter?

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »

both will probably have some.

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print