Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 20, 2019, 10:01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how many Skunk loaches do you need to keep together?  (Read 3538 times)
skunkloach01
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »

I was at a pet shop the other day and found the first skunk loach i ever saw. It was alone in a tank (just one skunk loach) with a bunch of chilids, red bellied pacu, and a few others. He was for sale for 1.50 and i figured I would take him home. I put him in my 10 gallon tank with my 3 bloodfin tetras and he seemed to like to swim around with them. then sometimes he sleeps inside of my cave and wont come out. then later i find him out again. So, i have two questions... Is he nocturnal? and, is he a schooling fish?
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »

They aren't nocturnal, just shy. It will come out alot more with company, as they are schooling fish, requiring 6 of their own kind. This also pertains to the tetra's as they are also schooling fish.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-morleti

The 10 gallon is too small for both the tetra's and the loach, I would suggest either getting a larger aquarium, or returning the loach and thinking about returning the tetra's and getting a different type of tetra that is suitable for a 10 gallon.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »

Also...skunk's have a reputation for being...on the grumpy side... I've been guilty of some impulse buys myself, but it is best to research your fish before buying so you know you can take care for them properly... Just don't take money with you to the fish store. Smiley (Or do what I do...call someone else who knows fish and can look stuff up for you while you stand in front of the tank and debate about whether or not you should do it...If it turns out it's not going to work...then you still haven't bought them...)

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:13:59 PM »

I have 2 but am looking to get a bunch more.They play pretty rough,most people keep them in bigger tanks with rougher tankmates than that.

Waiting will fill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's