Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ram compatability  (Read 4006 times)
JeremyP
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:31:09 PM »

I set up a 75 gallon planted aquarium two weeks ago. Yesterday i bought my first round of fish 8 tiger barbs and two red tail sharks. I had a 55 gallon aquarium as a kid so i know the Red tails generally leave most species alone. However, i do remember when i was a kid my red tail  attacking male beta's and Sword Tails. Has anyone on here attempted to keep Rams with either the Tiger Barbs or Red Tails?
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:55:01 PM »

you will have a problem with two RTBS in your 75.  They will tussle as they age.  Usually one will lose the tussle and die.

If the rams are Microgeophagus ramirezi they like to be kept in a tank with a lot of plant cover.  With open spaces to come out to frolic in.  They are not cave dwellers--they live in flood plains with grass like plants.  Tehy do not like face moving fish in their tank.  Especially fast moving larger fish.  They will come into a territorial conflict with the RTBS that ends up surviving.
JeremyP
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »

My tank has two Large Pieces of Driftwood and a medium sized piece with a lot of caves in them. There is quite a bit of foliage already so the RTBS don't really see each other much. Have you tried keeping RTBS and Rams together?
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »

The barbs will be too much for the rams. The nice fins and shy demeanor of the rams will be perfect targets for the barbs, IMO. And the sharks will show aggression as they age and their territorial requirements get larger and larger. It may seem like the sharks are fine now, but wait until they do get in contact with each other, then you will see problems.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:23:20 PM »

no i have never tried the RTBS and the M. ramirezi together. Did the RTBS and the M altispinosa together.   No way would i make the M Ramirezi suffer through that.  They are not sturdy or aggressive enough.
JeremyP
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »

How did the RTBS and M altispinosa get along together?
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:19:26 AM »

They fought--lol.  The M altispinosa did figure out how to stand them down--or the RTBS decided they were aggressive enough that it did not attack too often.  But they were in a 6' long tank designed to minimize territorial conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation