Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 02:41:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tourquoise Rainbow  (Read 2681 times)
flojan
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »

We were at the fish store, and seen Tourquoise Rainbow fish.  Beautiful fish ...What is the tank requirements for these fish, and what is a safe number to buy, are they a schooling fish...Thanks..
AquaDave

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:28:17 AM »

Melanotaenia lacustris - Turquoise Rainbow / Blue Rainbow / Lake Kutubu Rainbow
100mm (4") overall maximum length, schooling fish (miniumum of 6), like planted aquariums with a central area free from obstructions.

I currently stock 6 of these in a 200ltr medium/heavily planted tank and I would consider this size tank as a minimum.

The males grow slightly bigger and have a different body shape (when maturing) than the females.  The males are also more brightly coloured than the females and demonstrate these colours to marvellous effect whilst spawning (in my tank this ritual takes place twice a day around lights on/off time).  For this reason most will stock in favour of males over females but I would recommend the inclusion of females in the school to give the males something to display to.

They're a community fish but like most fish will try to eat anything that fits in there mouths.  They eat at full speed darting from one end of the tank to the other (worth bearing in mind when considering tank mates).

Don't buy a school in one go... your filter won't handle the additional bioload... 2 or 3 youngsters at a time into (at least) a 200ltr.

Tank (200ltr):- 860mm(W) x 500(H) x 460(D)
Filter:- Eheim 2126 Professional II Thermo
Lighting (12hrs):- 3' Pendant (3 x 22'' T5 tubes)
10% daily waterchanges
flojan
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »

So what are good tank mates then for these kind of fish...Do they go well with Angel fish and rasboras, and cherry barbs , and cories....
AquaDave

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:56:49 AM »

I kept an angel fish with my rainbows until I gave it away... the contrast in 'style' between the two species did not create the environment I was looking for... basically angels hover in the same space for ages and move incredibly slowly... the exact opposite of the rainbows.

Cories are bottom feeders (and also schoolers) so no problem there and I've never kept cherry barbs (which are also a schooling fish).  My understanding is that cherries only grow to around 2" and are not as aggressive as some of the other barb species... should be OK.... someone else might want to wade in...

Hope this helps.

Tank (200ltr):- 860mm(W) x 500(H) x 460(D)
Filter:- Eheim 2126 Professional II Thermo
Lighting (12hrs):- 3' Pendant (3 x 22'' T5 tubes)
10% daily waterchanges
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's