Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snail eggs?  (Read 4983 times)
raw49
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:25:18 AM »

Anyone know if these are snail eggs?

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:37:19 AM »

They look like they are all different sizes. From my uneducated eye they look similar to air bubbles in slimy green algae I have seen. Have you gently touched one to see?

Without friends everything is for nought.
raw49
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:44:16 AM »

Well, the first time they showed up, I actually reached in and brushed them off with my finger.  I have absolutely no idea what snail eggs are supposed to feel like.  This stuff was slightly slimy.  And the next morning they were back in exactly the same spot.  The only reason I suspect they might be eggs of some kind is that a) the color is definitely not green, it's a milky translucent white, and b) there's a semitransparent sack that envelops all of the small round "bubble" looking things. 

Honestly I don't know where snail eggs could have come from since this is a new tank doing a fishless cycle.  Although I did plant some crypts and anubia and java ferns over the weekend, I didn't see any snails on them when I inspected and unwrapped them before planting them into the tank.

So, to answer your question, yes, I have touched the growth.  I'm not sure it told me anything about it though.  I know nothing of snails and have only just made my first attempt at real aquatic plants.
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:46:42 AM »

Fair enough. Sounds similar to my snail eggs. Once you have them, well, you HAVE them Wink In snail language 1+1=17,000 kabillion lol proud

Without friends everything is for nought.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »

Pond Snail Eggs

Pest Snail Article

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,1040.0.html 

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
raw49
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 02:35:08 AM »

Well in case anyone was wondering, it's confirmed, I have snails in my tank.  God they're the tiniest things I've ever seen in my life (aside from your average flea...I think these were a little bigger than fleas but not much).  They have tiny little oblong shells and are all dark from what I can make out.  When I shine a flashlight on them to scrutinize they make a beeline to get out of the spotlight. 

I'm hoping they aren't like one of those Biblical plague things that happen to newbie aquarium owners like me.  They look like something my fish could eat--I should say the fish I'll be getting as soon as the tank finishes it's fishless cycle.  Nearly there I suspect.  How is it that the snails can survive in a tank that gets regular doses of ammonia to keep it at 2ppm for encouraging the ammonia eating bacteria colonies to thrive?

Clearly I know nothing about snails.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 02:38:29 AM »

Do they look like pond snails? There is a pic of a pond snail in the link that I provided for you.

Loaches eat them. Other fish eat them if you mash them. Smiley

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
raw49
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 02:55:49 AM »

They're so tiny right now, maybe 3 millimeters at most in length.  I'd hesitate to say I know what they are for sure, but as I've heard that the pond snails are the most common, I'm guessing that's what I've got.  I have two Julii Corydoras that are going to move into the new tank (with the snails) as soon as the tank finishes it's fishless cycle.  I'd planned on adding more Julii Corys to give them a school.  It's a 20 gallon tall tank so I'm hoping I can safely house 4-6 Julii Corys and maybe a centerpiece fish besides.  Suggestions on snail eating fish that can live in a 24 inch Long X 18 inch Tall X 12 inch Wide tank?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation