Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 23, 2019, 05:53:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Purpose of "sword" on swordtails?  (Read 6100 times)
phatred
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:12:41 PM »

I recently got one male and one female swordtail which i had never owned and read before i bought them that the males have the sword. I couldn't find what the purpose of the sword was online, is it a reproducing organ? My male swims backwards by the female, i wasn't sure if it was a mating ritual or some kind of defense?
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

I think it was bred into them. Like how most betta's have long fins, or there are long-finned versions of different species of fish, they are specially bred to have the long-fins, it becomes a recessive trait.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
tom14

Tanks: 35g-2 fancy goldfish

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »

as far as i was aware, the tails occured naturally however, probably not as long as the ones in the shops (due to selective breeding)

it is not the reproductive organ. if you look closely at the anal fin of the male you will see it is fused together, this the the reproductive bit.

i found this interesting article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2007/02/14/science-swordtail.html research done by british scientists found that females mature quicker in the presence of males with big tails. Also, it seems to slow the development of other less dominant males. What they concluded was that sexual maturation can come in respeonce to visuals. this therefore suggests why there is a tail, it is advantageous for males to have big tails because it is what the females look for in a man lol. 'size does matter'   Wink

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:31:44 AM »

Agree w/tom14 - just another secondary sexual trait.  The world is full of them - the peacock's tail feathers and their display, many bird and fish colors and patterns, manes on male lions, etc.  Behaviors can serve the same function - nest building and spawning site prep, shifting color patterns, gill flaring, mating dances. 

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Mr T Rides BMX

Now making lures

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »

its for fighting, havent you ever seen your swordies jabbing eachother with there fins?  Wink

2- 125gal
1- 55gal
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:31:53 AM »

My male swims backwards by the female, i wasn't sure if it was a mating ritual or some kind of defense?

He's not being aggressive or defensive. He is however "dancing" for her. He wants to mate with her and he's trying to impress her with his long sword and his fancy dance moves. Also known as a mating ritual.

hth happy

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:47 AM »

The fin modification/extension is for display, not physical combat.  It is not a physical weapon.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 09:54:26 AM »

Yep, as indicated it is primarily for display. Works for intimidation against other male swordtails, defense against predetors (appearing larger than actual), and of coarse for impressing the lady fishes into partaking in the wild fish dance. Smiley

Taylor,

"Like how most betta's have long fins,"

Ah, thats a big no on that one.....lol But I think I know what you mean. Wink

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:11:05 AM »

Woops, that was my bad Russ. I was trying to say how betta splendens have been bred into having larger, and longer fins versus their wild brethren.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:23:32 PM »

Huh, I thought I posted on here a couple days ago... Oh well. There is a female preference for the sword, the bigger the sword, the sexier the male is. The sexier the male is, the more likely he's going to get to mate. There is an innate preference for swords in other related fish as well, even when the species does not have swords on males. (Yeah, see, scientists artificially enlarged some males' tails so it looked like had swords and those males got more action than the swordless ones.) This sword thing comes up multiple times if you study genetics or anything that will somehow relate to sexual selection...

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's