Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 05:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Betta loneliness?  (Read 6039 times)
mollie mama
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

Can it be that my Betta is lonely?...
maybe it's just me, but I think he has the blues....I have 2 Betta's, both males, but in different tanks of course.
One is in a 12 gallon with 2 mollies, and the other is in a 10 gal, all alone.
He just seem less active then the other Betta, kind of just hanging around.
I know I may be putting a human emotion on a fish, but I just can't help myself...
so the question is...Can he be lonely?
Markalot

United States United States

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »

I wouldn't call it lonely but why would he be active if there's not anything to do?  My female in my 10 is constantly looking at tiny snails and cherry shrimp.  And what about reflection.  Maybe if you put two sources of reflection he would challenge the two males trying to move in on his turf?

M a r k
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »

You can also try changing up his environment every so often. Move the tank decorations around and give him new things to explore. Try adding some new plants or a different driftwood or rock formation.

I wouldn't leave mirrors up next to the tank all the time, as the constant flaring could stress him out, but it's a good idea to let him see himself for a few minutes each day--no more than 15 minutes, I would say.

A study was done that demonstrated that when bettas were encouraged to keep moving, they lived longer. So providing stimulation is a great thing! Smiley

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
mollie mama
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »

Thanks for your opinions, I have tried the things you both mentioned and he still seems kind of blue.
I will get him a companion, hopefully he will not kill the poor thing. The shrimps were not so lucky, they were dead within two days.
He's somewhat aggressive, unlike the other one I have. He gets along just fine with the 2 mollies ,they all seem to be buddies.

kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »

Try female guppies. They are big enough not to look like food, and plain enough not to look like competition. I have kept both female guppies and feeder guppies (after extensive quarantine!) with my bettas.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »

If he's an aggressive fish then he will probably kill any tankmate that you get for him. Sad But you can try to add another fish as long as you have a Plan B.
The others have given you good advice. I for one like changing the environment like Susan said. Betta's are nosey fish. They can't resist the urge to poke and look at anything that's new or has simply been moved around in their tank.

Good Luck, happy

ninjad, Smiley

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
moonbunny

United States United States

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »

I had a betta once, Mr. Tanaka, who loved bubbles--just a gentle stream of bubbles from a one-inch airstone (tiny airpump) to ride up to the surface and to play back and forth in.  They are really personable fish--it your betta someplace where he can interact with you often?
mollie mama
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »

OK..He's got a Mollie in the tank and he just loves him, never once flared at him.
They both swim side by side, snuffpuff ( that is the Betta) just follows the Mollie around, watches how he picks leftover food off the deco and has a ball.

he even gives him first pick at the food, never thought that would happen...ROFL
But here goes to show how their little personalities can suprise you ,  over and over again. The things you  doubt, work themselves out like a charm.
Another happy Betta story....
dianafaye
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »

OK..He's got a Mollie in the tank and he just loves him, never once flared at him.
They both swim side by side, snuffpuff ( that is the Betta) just follows the Mollie around, watches how he picks leftover food off the deco and has a ball.

he even gives him first pick at the food, never thought that would happen...ROFL
But here goes to show how their little personalities can suprise you ,  over and over again. The things you  doubt, work themselves out like a charm.
Another happy Betta story....

Lol I once had a betta named Freddy who was best friends with a goldfish named One Eye Jack (poked his eye out on a plant... so my mother says). Of course, I was in elementary school and this was WAAAYYYY before I knew that the needs of these two kinds of fish were way different, but we had em for a few years as far as I can remember. They were absolutely inseperatable. I think I was in 3rd grade or so when Jack got sick; Freddy would actually stay very close to him and try to keep him by the surface. After Jack died, Freddy wouldn't eat, and he died shortly after.
It's a shame that neither my mother or I knew anything more about fish, maybe we would've been able to tell what was going on as far as disease and water quality, of course then we would've kept a betta and a goldfish together. It still makes for a romantic little story tho.
josh WM
slap shot

Tanks: 55g African Cichlids _ 20 gallon other_ 10 gallon neolamprogus Brevis_3 gallon guppy:s

And then it happend.....

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »

neat story Diana... ive thought about getting a betta but because they like small spaces or so ive heard and i would always think i would need to get him in a bigger tank.lol

I LOVE MUSTANGS!  "They get mean when the light goes green!"
dianafaye
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »

neat story Diana... ive thought about getting a betta but because they like small spaces or so ive heard and i would always think i would need to get him in a bigger tank.lol

For me, a betta in a nice community tank is a must have. This is, of course, providing that it's not an overly aggressive individual and that it has appropriate tank mates, but I adore having them around. They're just so full of personality that it's hard to resist. There's something really ethereal about the way they float around (which is why I currently and specifically have a white betta- very ghost like/angelic)
mollie mama
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 04:23:55 PM »

They are still friends...thank god...:-)
Yes, lovely story Diana, never stops to amaze me how animals will react with each other...
Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »

Let's cut this myth off. That's not true. Many bettas "like" just as large of a space as any other fish their size. Some are too high strung for larger tanks, IME, and some can damage their tails from swimming around large spaces, but they do not "like small spaces."

Just don't want that idea spreading around. Smiley
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

I'm going to waste some space and say DITTO! what Emily said  Smiley
  they don't like small spaces, they just happen to endure them better then most species.

renlea
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »

My betta is in a 10 gal. tank and swims all over the tank, at all levels. After seeing how much Spike likes his tank, I really cannot stand seeing them in small containers. Can't even look at the ones in plastic jars at the LFS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation