Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 20, 2019, 10:50:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: !!!!!!!! My first egg babies...  (Read 21767 times)
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« on: January 25, 2008, 09:26:48 PM »

Well, so many of you know that my Chela dadiburjori have been spawning (I'm crediting Sully for turning the fish on.) Last night, I save a leaf with eggs on it and protected it in the filter basket so the adults would not eat the eggs. Tonight, I moved the leaf to float it in the 2.5 with Midnight. The are itty bitty wrigglers on the leaf. I can see them moving. I'm not really sure if the eggs have hatched or not since these are my first eggs... (so if I can see movement, are they close to hatching or have they hatched?) I would like to attempt to raise some of the fry, but I don't have an empty tank to raise them in. I know chances are slim of them getting to a non-edible size with other fish in the tank. I'm just excited enough to get them this far... are there sorts of options I can use to try to raise them in tank? I have a breeder box, but I think the slots in the sides are far too large to keep the babies in. Hmmmm. Yup, just me thinking a loud, taking up room on the board.

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »

I'm crediting Sully for turning the fish on.

This sentence deeply concerns me...

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »

Good. Good. Just trying to give him a little chuckle. One is def hatched, I can see the little spec swim away on the leaf and then come back. Maybe I should put this leaf back into the filter box? Midnight can't handle the current in the big tank, so he can't go in there...

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »

put it back in the filter box for now or Midnight will have a snack  Smiley  You'll have to get food to them somehow, by tomorrow when they've abosorbed their yolk sacs.

Gopi, anyway you can get your hands on a pump, airstone and container?  You know anything will do, a critter keeper, large tuppperware....Petsmart has some little pumps that are pretty cheap, I think I bought one once for $6.

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »

Kim, I already moved it. Hopefully, the fry stayed on the leaf, it looked like most were still in the eggs. Will they not eat tiny stuff in the water? They are getting good water flow, I guess I'm worried about the water flow being tough on them inside the filter. What should I feed them? I don't have fry bites anymore, but I do have some dehydrated eggs, I guess I could use that. (I remember making an egg yolk paste for Endler fry...)

I could definitely do this if I had all my material from home. I have like 3 air pumps at home. LOL. I will have to see if I can find a PetSmart or something that is easy to get to after my exam tomorrow night. ... How would I get the fry OUT of the filter? Would they stay stuck to the leaf or what? I do have large plastic containers...but not guarantee that they are soap residue free. Or any type of residue free...

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:35:05 PM »

egg yolk will work, some of your moss should have some infusoria in it too. 

egg yolk food my way - cup of dechlorinated water ( could be just tank water ), break off small piece of hard boiled egg yolk, smush egg yolk between fingers into water, smush it good. Smiley  stir water hard. Take pipette, dropper, syringe or whatever you have and put drops of mixture in container with babies.  Doesn't take much. Throw away mixture, save rest of egg yolk in fridge for your next mixture.

Just rinse your container well in super hot water...it's probably fine unless you've used it to store toxic chemicals..lol.

just dump the whole filter into your container. Smiley

oh heck..you'll need heat, forgot abotu that.

okay, I have a new idea, get one of those mesh baskets that hang inside the tank. put them in there with some moss. I did that with my danio fry for a week or so..forgot about that.  That will work for a little while.

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »

I'll probably never be able to make myself eat out of it again... So, I could probably take just a tiny bit of the dehydrated egg powder to make food. I wonder where my pipettes are...I used to have a bunch (and now no lab access). I should be able to do without a heater, my room is so hot sometimes, I'm opening the window! Hmmm...what else, will still need to find a way to aerate, I need to map out some stores...

Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »

Well, my friends, the time has come
(To) raise the roof and have some fun
Throw away the work to be done
Let the music play on....(Play on, play on, play on..)
Everybody sing, everybody dance
Lose yourself in wild romance
We're going to Party, Karamu, Fiesta, forever
Come on and sing along!
We're going to Party, Karamu, Fiesta, forever
Come on and sing along!

All night long (all night), All night (all night)
All night long! (all night), Ooh, yeah (all night)

If the mood lighting doesn't get them, the music will--everytime.
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:50:10 PM »

Everybody sing, everybody dance
Lose yourself in wild romance

I think that part right there was the trick. "Sully says to lose ourselves in wild romance? OK!"

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 11:09:08 PM »

Smiley  well your fish have anyway..

here's the basket I was looking for, at Petco.  I remember now, it wasnt' the danio fry but the forktail rainbows I was able to keep in here for a while. It won't be good enough to raise them in for long but if you put in a wad of moss it should hold them for a week or so. It will work for an emergency. Smiley

http://www.petco.com/product/13623/Penn-Plax-Net-Breeder.aspx

gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 11:54:25 PM »

I have a bunch of those net breeders.They come in handy for small spawns  to give them a few weeks to grow till I dump them in the fry tanks.Also makes it easier to feed the little guys

Waiting will fill
Q
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125 Gallon Amazon Biotope Community: 30 Cardinal Tetras; 8 Silver Hatchets; 10 Panda Cories; 2 Butterfly Ram; 6 Discus 37H Rose Garden: 9 Rosy Tetras

None of us is as smart as all of us.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 12:11:34 AM »

Congratulations, Gopi!   party party party

Humans are the only creatures able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.
superpap56
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

it shouldnt--if you know Sully. jolly1 rofl..I am happy for your new arrivals.
I'm crediting Sully for turning the fish on.

This sentence deeply concerns me...
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »

I used to have a net breeder, I did not like it. The one I have is like this one, only I've lost the middle part

http://www.petco.com/product/7449/Lee-s-Multi-Purpose-3-Way-Breeders.aspx

I was looking at it again, the slots are a lot smaller than I thought, I think I would have to still line with moss though. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get those babies out of the filter basket now... but, I do have a couple more leaves with eggs on them from yesterday.

Michael B
Of All the Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind the Most.
Senior Staff

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »

get thee a Turkey baster to catch and release those lil suckers.

Mentally confused and prone to wandering......

www.noclownsinacube.net
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »

I've got the baster...just not sure if I can see 1 day old fry in a dark filter housing?

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »

dump the whole filter

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »

would they still be in there since i did put them in the filter that is running...They are not on the leaf anymore.  I set up the breeder box with a very nice sized chunk of moss and put the other two leaves with eggs in to. I'll let those stay in there and set up a plastic container and dump the filter in, hopefully I will get something and not just stinky, dirty water.

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »

hmmm, I suppose you're right, they probably just flowed out, they're too small to fight current. 

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »

Ok...well, I poured as much of the filter water into a container just in case. Filter needs to be cleaned more often than I'm doing it. LOL. There is "stuff" moving around, tiny stuff...not sure that it's fry at all, I guess it's possible. Should I leave the unhatched eggs in the breeder box with the java moss or move it all over to the plastic container?

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »

I moved it all over to the plastic container anyway (I'm trying to keep myself busy this morning...) I *know* I put two leaves in with the java moss...but there was only one when I pulled the box out...and it was covered...and there are no free floating leaves in the tank? I think the fish are trying to drive me crazy!

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »

Fry are starting to hatch, or at least I can see moving dark spots inside the eggs. It was easier when light reflected off the eggs and I could see them. Looks like all of them were good. So...how do I change the water when I can't see the fry? (I've already assumed it would be with the turkey baster...) They're only in about 6 cups of tank water right now and have all the crud from the filter in there...I'm going to try to get a larger container tomorrow. But if I don't succeed...do I just wait until I can see them better to do w/c? I would like to do it at least daily esp if I'm adding the powdered egg for food...unless all that java moss would provide enough food for now?

KIM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 09:55:48 PM »

what?

lol.

hmmm, you know...a lot of people don't even do water changes on fry that small ( betta people for instance ). They'e very delicate to any water parameter changes. You are right though that it's a balancing act to avoid pollution. It's important not to over feed, remember that they are so tiny they're not going to eat much and one drop can disperse a lot of food.
If I were you I would use water from the main tank to do any water changes. No "fresh" water yet.
That should be ok.  Mary mentioned Rainbow people do it that way too.

When I had the danio and rainbow fry it didn't seem that they really spent much time on the bottom. (unlike betta fry). Most of the time I saw them on the surface or would see them moving in and out of the moss. I think you'll be able to baster out the bottom without getting the fry.
Just in case, put the waste water into a light colored or clear dish and before you dump it take the dish and hold it under bright light. That should help you see if you got any fry when you were cleaning and you can retrieve them.

We do this constantly with betta fry, it's almost impossible to clean the bottom without sucking up some fry so you just always check before you dump.

They very likely can find some infusoria in the moss for a couple days, and you can always trade some of that moss out, after swishing it for fry removal lol...and put in some that is fresh from the main tank.
Don't feed them right away tonight, wait a day because they'll be absorbing their yolk sacs at first, and then they can start on the infusoria in the moss. Maybe give them a little drop of egg food tomorrow night. We'll have to see how many you get, if there are just a few there may be enough moss critters to keep them fed for a while.

What are you going to do for the next stage of food? Egg yolk food is only going to be for a week at most.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:04:33 PM by Kim » Logged

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

LOL. I dunno, what should I do? The flake I have (Ed's breeder delight plankton flake something or other) crumbles so easily, it's absolutely tiny. I don't have other food except for the bottom feeders, so if you've got some idears, tell me! I'm not exactly thinking this through or planning it out well, ya know? Um...I don't think Roomie 2 would be pleased with any foods kept in the freezer or fridge, pretty sure it would freak her out... Fry bites?

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »

ed's food will be good if you can get it fine enough, pound it into a superduper fineness. Like powder.

if you can see them with a magnifying glass you'll be able to tell if they're taking the food. Smiley 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation