Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 05:09:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: honey gouramis and betta in community tank?  (Read 6218 times)
gryffin

« on: January 27, 2008, 07:47:30 PM »

I am setting up a 20G community tank.  So far, there are 3 otos and 5 panda cories in residence.  The tank is cycled and has been running for over a month, but the otos and cories have only been in it for about 1.5 weeks (this was previously home to 9 female bettas- I moved them to another 20G that I finished planting a couple of weeks ago).

I have a honey sunset gourami (Trichogaster chuna) that is QT'ing in a 5G.  I am pretty sure that he is a male based on the shape of his fin.

I am considering purchasing a female so that I will have a pair in the 20G, but I have not yet done so.

I also plan to add about 3-5 harelquin rasbora or cardinal tetra as dither fish.

I am wondering whether I can try including one of my male bettas in this tank as well.  This would be either in addition to or instead of the additional honey gourami.  I realize that bettas can be unpredictable- but the one I have in mind seems to be pretty unterritorial.

Any advice on whether this is something I can try?  Feedback on the rest of the stocking is also welcome.

Thanks!

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 10:20:51 PM »

You can try it, it may not go well, keeping ananbantids together can be difficult but as long as you have the ability to pull the betta back out you can give it a shot.

Personally I wouldn't, but that's me, won't say it can't be done.
I'd get a few female honey's instead.

mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »

The two honeys are okay.  But I wouldn't make a betta live with them in a 20.  A little too small.
Take care,
Mary.
fish_lover27
Corgis!

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »

I have 2 honey gourami's in a 125 gallon tank with 6 angelfish and a female betta. They used to be in my community and were fine. I'm not sure about the male betta though.

I have 5 tanks:
55 gal: Tiger Oscar & albino Tiger Oscar
20 gal: yellow lab cichlid
15 gal: male betta, 6 neon tetras
30 gal: 2 convict cichlids, 5 tiger barbs
5.5 gal QT: baby guppies
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:08:18 AM »

a comment from Taylor, re-posted by me due to topic splitting:

Gryffin, I wouldn't try it, personally. I had one dwarf gourami and a honey gourami in a 24 gallon once upon a time, and they ended up killing each other.

fishbuddy
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »

Gryffin, I have never tried 2  different anabantids in the same tank, but I never will. There is just too much information out there that says not to do it. I would not expect a gourami and betta to get along.

As for your Gourami, if you want to get a pair, make sure you get at least 2 females. They tend to harass their women to death, and having more than one is supposed to spread the stress load a bit so they can all survive. That's how I understand it, anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation