Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 20, 2019, 08:29:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leopard Bushfish: any reviews/personal experience with em?  (Read 4376 times)
edlee
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »

Hey all,
so I've gone visiting the lfs, and I think the little leopard bushfish are really cute.  Wondering if anyone has any experience with em?  I've been googlin' them, and it seems they are decent little fishies.  I think after my tank is cycled (3-5 more weeks from now) I may go for one/two of them. 

Couple questions:  The ones at the lfs are 1.75"-2": tiny in my opinion. 
A) Do you think they'd get along with the african brown knife?  He's actually about... 4-5".   He seems very nice and mellow, not aggressive--and the reading on the web says the leopard bushfish get along with larger tankmates. 
B) If they are indeed a good choice for a 29g tank, should i get 2-3?  I know they're not community fish, but some of the articles say they do well in pairs...  Just planning ahead.
C) any other tidbits of advice? 

Thanks a million!
edlee
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:53 AM »

P.S. I know that the ABK, if taken care of, can outgrow my 29g.  I'm prepared to go bigger on a tank once that happens.. For now tho, this works... Smiley
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:06:25 AM »

In general, it's not a good idea to buy a fish that you know will outgrow your tank and hope to upgrade later.  Stunting happens before you know it, and before you can see it.  Frequently life gets in the way and we don't manage to get that larger tank before the fish stunts.  It's wisest to stock for the fishes' adult size.

A quick Google reveals that the Leopard Bush fish gets to be 6" and is predatory and carnivorous.

One  report indicated that in a small tank they will prey on each other.

Buy the larger tank first; then consider tank mates.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
gbrboy2
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »

A 29 gallon is too small for a group of those fish.  They can be aggressive to each other and when at their full size of 6 inches, they really need at least a 40-55 gallon aquarium.  Their temperament is such that they will not get along with more aggressive fish and larger fish may try to bully them because they are so timid.  They can defend themselves, but are generally peaceful toward other fish unless provoked.  The best tank mates would be larger characins and catfish.  They should not be kept with fish less than 2.5 inches or slender bodied fish less than 3.5 inches in length or the smaller fish will get eaten.  They will accept flake foods, but live and frozen foods would really be the best for these species.  These are a great fish with interesting personalities, and my all time favorite fish, but you really need to research them as much as possible before buying.

A good setup would be a sort of biotope with fish from the same general region.  In a 55 gallon you could do:

2 Leopard Bushfish
4 Upside-down Catfish
6-8 Congo Tetras

These fish also like to hide out in caves and dense vegetation, so that's something to keep in mind when aquascaping.

edlee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:56:45 AM »

Thanks for the solid feedback.  Hmm.. I've got room for a 55g tank.  I just bought my 29g tank, wondering how hard it is to resell a 10day old 29g tank, full setup...
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »

It's very easy to resell a tank, if I lived near you, I might buy it.

However, I would recommend keeping it, even if you don't keep it set up.  Could be useful as a fry grow out tank, a quarantine tank or a hospital tank.

In my experience, nobody manages to keep just one fish tank for long.

If you do want to sell it, put it on Craig's list.  That might also be where you find your 55.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation