Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2019, 09:09:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I know if my pleco is eating enough?  (Read 12146 times)
secorneli
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:37:48 AM »

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if a pleco is eating?  I put food out for her and it's gone in the morning, but that could be the other fish eating it.  I try to spy on her to see her tummy but she hides under the log so it's difficult.  She mostly comes out at night - every so often I'll see her in the day but as soon as she sees me she hides.  I've seen long poops and I am hoping they are her's but who knows? 
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »

Big long poops are probably hers.

Try spying on her at night with a flashlight that has a red bulb or put a thin red cloth over it. I've never done it but I hear that they won't run from the red light.

gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »

If youre worried the only way to really know is if the pleco is too skinny.Who else is in the tank that could be making the long poops?Its probably from the pleco.

Waiting will fill
Carlo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »

The one time I was feeding my BN pleco too little,  I knew because he got aggressive toward the other fish at feeding time.  Pleco don't usually attack, and he was going AFTER any cory that was eating a wafer. 
secorneli
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »

Okay, I feel better now.  It must be the pleco's poops as some of them are longer than the other fish! LOL  They all seem to be near the log where she hides out.

Kim, I tried spying on her with a blue light, but she saw that and swam to hide.  Will try red light next time.
elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »

very good Gomezaddams !!! : proud

elizabeth
secorneli
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 07:14:16 PM »

I am definitely not worried anymore.  She turned on her poop machine!  I finally got a glimpse of her today and she had a 5 inch string of poop hanging out.  Poop everywhere near the log.  Yucko!  Hmmmm same colour as the mopani log....well, now I know what she's eating!  fish19

It figures as I just cleaned the tank today!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »

I think Plecos are the elephants of the fish world.  The only way to justify the sheer quantity of poo that comes out of them is to figure that they eat a diet that is very poor in nutrition so they have to eat a LOT of it in order to sustain themselves on it.  The result is logically.... a lot of poo.  That is what elephants (most rudiments actually!) do.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation