Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 05, 2019, 02:14:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: info on clown barbs  (Read 1887 times)
fishfanatic
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:33:38 AM »

While visiting my LFS I noticed they had clown barbs. I don't know anything about them, so I tried a little research, and it seemed everyplace I visited had something different to say. What I would like to know is are they like tiger barbs and require at least 5 to be happy, or can they be kept in pairs like cherry barbs. I would love to add them to my stock, but i can't add more than two. Currently I have 5 tiger barbs and 6 gold barbs in a 29 gallon. It looks like they grow quite a bit larger than the barbs I currently have, which may eliminate them anyway. If the clowns won't work, which I'm betting is the case, I may go with a couple of cherries to round out my stock, but the problem is I love the looks of the clown barbs. But I won't keep them if they won't be happy. Thanks in advance.
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »

hi
I did a little research too, they should reach 4", that's according to Fishbase and some other credible sources, the indication is that they are also more like Tigers, they're nippy and should be kept in larger schools.

I'd say that these are not good choices for your tank due to their size and your current stocking.

I think your current stock is perfectly well rounded as it is Wink  Those gold barbs should get to 3".

fishfanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:39:24 PM »

Thank you for the reply. Yea I already decided after more research they were not a good addition to my tank. I know I'm close to a full tank, but would like another fish or two that stay small, and don't need to be kept in a large school since my tank won't handle much more. I love dwarf gouramis, but with the tigers, that's not a good idea either. My other thought was getting one male and one female cherry barb. They stay small and are happy in pairs, and wouldn't add too much to my bio load. Thoughts? Thanks again for the reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation