Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 08:28:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding Cherry Barbs...leftover food on substrate.  (Read 7940 times)
soulm8salways

« on: February 09, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

Feeding question for cherry barbs. My 8 cherry barbs are in a 20 gallon community tank with 5 cories, 5 otocinclus catfish, and a betta. I have 8 cherry barbs and they are growing, healthy and seem to be especially happy since the addition of live plants recently. The cherry barbs were originally in my 29 gallon with my tiger barbs and I decided to get them a tank of their own and built the community around them. The tank gets a 50% water change each week and the water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 10 nitrates by water change day usually closer to 5.

The biggest problem I am having in this tank is finding the right balance for feeding, especially with the cherry barbs. The betta gets betta bites or occasional frozen bloodworms individually at the top while the other fish are eating. The cories and otos get sinking shrimp pellets, sinking bottom feeder tablets "the rich mix" and algae wafers. These seem to be cleaned up pretty quickly none left on the substrate and everyone enjoys them including the cherry barbs.

Specifically for the cherry barbs I also feed ed's flake foods and I'm very sparing with this because no matter how little I put in, it seems there is always leftover flakes on the substrate. I can't seem to get the balance right

I don't have these problems in my 29 gallon with 6 tiger barbs and 3 yo yo loaches the substrate is always clean.  I've even considered putting the cherry barbs back into the 29 gallon and just feeding sinking foods in the 20 gallon for the bottom feeders and feeding the betta individually. I'm not sure if my stocking would be good if I moved them. Later this year I'll be upgrading the 29 to a 55 and the inhabitants of the 20 will go into the 29 but that is down the line.

Anyway I am wondering do the cherry barbs need the flake foods? If I could cut that out there wouldn't be excess food left on the substrate but I don't know if it's healthy enough for them to get just the other foods. What diet will keep them healthy, well fed but not leave an abundance on my substrate? I have a huge variety of Ed's flake foods, shrimp pellets, Algae discs and then also have sinking bottom feeder tablets and frozen bloodworms along with spirulina veggie flakes. Everyone is growing, great color, healthy...just leftover flakes no matter how little I try to feed. Suggestions!?

"Faith began this journey, Love will sustain" 45 gallon 6 yo yo loaches, albino bristlenose pleco 29 gallon peaceful community tank with 10 neon tetra, 2 gold barbs, 1 male betta, 6 albino cories, bristlenose pleco
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »

try feeding the flake first and holding off on the sinkers until the cories have cleaned up the flake. Then if you think they didn't get enough you can drop them in a few sinkers.

soulm8salways

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »

Kim,
 Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Actually I have been feeding the flake first, obviously I'm still overdoing it in this tank. I feel like I'm barely putting any in...but there is still leftover on the substrate. If I leave it long term most of it will get eaten in several hours but I've tried to follow the what your fish can eat in a couple minutes theory which is not a problem with the tiger barbs. Of course they are voracious! This is a whole different group of fish and the balance in feeding is proving trickier.

"Faith began this journey, Love will sustain" 45 gallon 6 yo yo loaches, albino bristlenose pleco 29 gallon peaceful community tank with 10 neon tetra, 2 gold barbs, 1 male betta, 6 albino cories, bristlenose pleco
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »

As long as it gets eaten don't worry too much. It's not a hard fast rule, it's just designed to help people learn how not to overfeed. Cleaning up the leftovers is what cories do best. If, after a while you think that the cories are getting too much to eat between the flake leftovers and the pellets you can just give them less pellets.
You can also try feeding pellets one night and flake another.

You're doing fine, don't stress it .  Smiley

soulm8salways

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »

Thanks again Kim,
 It's funny how much this hobby pulls you in and having everything just right for a healthy happy thriving community becomes almost an obsession. I'll try the flake and pellet every other day option if it looks like the flake is not cleaned up in a reasonable amount of time. Usually everything looks pretty good until I gravel vac and then I'm shocked at how much leftover has floated under my driftwood in the course of a week. I'd love to get the balance down to that of the tiger barb tank as they keep it clean in there!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation