Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 20, 2019, 08:29:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what fish should i add next ???  (Read 2942 times)
LjDeveney
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:32:58 AM »

Hello guys just after a bit of advice ,

Had a 35 gallon tank running 2 months now, with 10 zebra danio's in it, i have a juwell filter system... My question is this... what species could i add next?? what would mix well with the Z's i want somthing pritty looking and attractive to people looking in my tank.. if you could give me a couple of possibilities (As my LOacal store may not stock 1st choice) i would be very grateful..

also a simple question really when i come to clean my biological filter sponges should i clean them in the fish tank water?? rather than tap water ?? thanks!

Liam
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:26:05 AM »

I like barbs.  I would think 6 barbs would be nice.  Some bottom dwellers might be nice too... perhaps a few cory cats.  (Only add one group at a time though.)  And don't forget to QT.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »

Yes, you should clean the sponges in tank water OR dechlorinated tap water.  The chlorine or chloramines in the tap water can kill off the bacterial colony and cause a mini-cycle in the tank.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »

I agree with Karen, barb's are a great choice with zebra danio's and they come in a lot of colors and patterns.

How about tiger barbs? They come in 3 types, regular, green and a pink color people sometimes refer to as albino ( I have no idea if they actually ARE albino )

Get a good sized school as they can be nasty when they don't have enough buddies to rough and tumble with. 7 or 8 would be okay.

How long is your tank? If it's at least 3 ft ( 91 cm) then one redtailed black shark or rainbow shark would be compatible too.
I don't keep the scientific names of the two shark species in my head, I could look them up for you if you're interested. You don't want just anything labeled as a shark. Some get huge.

and a reminder...add slowly. Smiley

LjDeveney
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 05:08:49 PM »

Yes thos barbs 7-8 of them sound like a good idea, has does the Rainbow shark .. .. my tank is only 81cm long though but has good depth and height... that no gud for the rainbow shark?? its 38 gallons.

thanks
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile85.html

I would say that if you let him be the only bottom dweller it would be fine. Him, the tiger barbs and the zebra's are a complete stocking plan. Smiley  I'd like that set up myself!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation