Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 16, 2019, 10:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mistake on dojo loach stats and prof page?  (Read 1946 times)
phatred
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »

I own 1  3-4 year old dojo loach and was planning on buying more a while back until I read on the stats page (http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/stats/loach_stats/stats_loach2b.html) that they get to be 20 inches and like 50 degree temps. This made me think my loach wouldn't make it long. Tonight i was just browsing around through the fish profile pages and found this information http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile103.html which says 8-10" and 60-85 degrees. Which source of information do I go with? My loach has been healthy for all these years in 74-78 degree water, so I'm guessing the profile page is correct? If so I would love to add some more of these guys in my newly setup tank with him.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:36:29 AM »

When in doubt on any fish, go to Fish Base.  It will not give you tank care, but on the fish's stats and habitat conditions in the wild it is great.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=3016&genusname=Misgurnus&speciesname=anguillicaudatus

You will have an easier time there by searching on the fish's real name, but you can google for that.  Then confirm tank care on the forum. It look like the local profile is pretty good, but I would not want to hold such a fish at 84F other than briefly.  They are subtropical, not tropical.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 03:26:49 AM »

I have had 2 dojo's (one is albino, the other a plain sand colored dojo) in my 75g, for about 2 years now. I keep them at 78*, despite my efforts to make the heaters go down to 76*... now the algae has them stuck pretty good....
they get weekly water changes, and plenty of everything to eat.  I wuv wuv wuv wuv wuv my dojos. <3

they recently spawned... I don't see the little guy often, he is still very very shy, but is adorable, and looks just like my sandy one. indentical.

do get yours at least one friend though, mine really do adore eachother. They often swim side by side, it's rather beautiful, actually...

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
Badman
Administrator

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 06:08:42 AM »

RTR is right I use Fish base now for most of the hard facts for a fish species, but there are so many different sources it's really hard to get a proper answer. NCIAC is trying to bring some conformity to the hobby and it's a daunting task. The stats are just that,  quick stats on the fish where it is found while the profiles go into aquarium care a little deeper. The stats may have a larger scale of temps and sizes etc. from their geographic range, while the profiles will include the ones maintained in  the home aquarium.

Pat

Pat

liv2padl, Craig, Michael B - we miss you, rest in eternal peace.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation