Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2019, 09:00:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can cherry shrimp naturally mutate into crystal red shrimp?  (Read 3039 times)
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« on: February 14, 2008, 11:12:25 PM »

Subject says it all.  I have had an active colony of cherry shrimp for over two years.  The only other shrimp I have added to my tanks were three pinochio shrimp.  And no new shrimp into the grow out tank at all.  That's my breeding ground for the cherries, and occasional praecox fry or other fry I manage to salvage.  I have noticed one shrimp recently that had a white stripe.  Originally I had thought that it was a young female about to molt but I got a good look at it tonight.  I know that crystal reds are a bumblebee variant, but can cherries have a similar mutated coloring occasionally?  Here's the gal.
Take care,
Mary.

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:55:44 AM »

I'd guess that she is just a red cherry sport, with an abnormal color band.  If you care and have space you could shift her out when she is berried and see if it breeds true and is a heritable mutation rather than a one-shot sport.  It should show again in the second generation at least if it is heritable.  Considering the prices of the whiter crystal reds, such a shift in red cherries could pay off for a while.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 01:05:47 AM »

Mary, that's so cool! jolly1

I hope it's inheritable! You should totally try and seperate her and start a new colony in that color line if it is.
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:30:18 AM »

I love those Shrimps. Gorgeous markings. I'm just slightly envious Wink

Without friends everything is for nought.
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »

Thanks everyone.  And RTR I was thinking the same thing.  I may just give her her own tank with a few boyfriends and see what happens.  Though I might lose my better half by setting up another tank...  uhoh
Take care,
Mary.
Aquaseafoam

Tanks: 2x75 gallon, 2x29 gal, 2x20 gal, 3x 10 gal

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »

Though I might lose my better half by setting up another tank...  uhoh

There are other fish in the sea.... but only one banded cherry shrimp!!!
hahaha, just kidding- but I am seriously jealous too!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"-Amanda Bloom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation