Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 05, 2019, 03:24:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zebra danios in a 10g.  (Read 5839 times)
Hipuks

My tapeworm tells me what to do.

« on: February 18, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »

What's up everyone, how's is it going? Well, I have a bit of a problem. When I started my 20H I got some zebra danios to cycle the tank, after that, I added some platies and corys, later on I decided to set up a 10G tank and put the zebra danios there so I could put a Dwarf Gourami in the 20H. Well, I have read that a 10G is too small for the zebra danios because of the swimming room, I have 8 danios and 5 ghost shrimp in that tank. I'm thinking of later on getting a 30G tank, and I thought maybe I could move the danios there along with the other fish from the 20H, the problem is that as we all know danios are on crack, zipping all over the place, and I don't think that would please the Dwarf Gourami very much. So the question is, should I just give the danios to an LFS? Is the 10G too small for them and if I get a 30G, would they bother the gourami with their constant moving around?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:54:36 AM by kdrun76 » Logged

To Serve Man...Gustatus Similis Pullus.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:58:11 AM »

Unless you adore the danios you should take them back. The Gourami probably would not appreciate the constant zipping of the zebras. As you know the 10 is simply too little.

I'm not sure what you plan to do with the 10 but if you took the danios back you could buy a Dwarf Gourami to go in it with the shrimp. Just a thought though.

HTH happy

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Hipuks

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:23:41 AM »

Debra- Wouldn't the 10G be too small for the Dwarf Gourami? And, wouldn't he snack on my shrimp? Because if the 10G is good for him, then I could put the zebras in the 20H and the Dwarf Gourami in the 10G, and problem solved.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:57:06 AM by kdrun76 » Logged

Hipuks

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:48:54 AM »

That's why I like it here, now, how Google came out of this State and how we're the 5th biggest economy in the world...That's beyond me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:48:06 AM by Debra » Logged

aquagirl900

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:57:51 AM »

By the way,  it is nice that you are trying to do right by your fish, many people wouldn't care about them like it seems you do.

Keeping fish healthy is harder than keeping people healthy...people can tell you what's wrong!
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:25:43 AM »

IMO a 10 gallon is not too small for a Dwarf Gourami. Provide Pristine water and a safe place for him to hide. He's been living in a larger tank so the move to a 10 gallon might be a bit of an adjustment for him. Give it a try and see if he behaves normally. He "might' eat your shrimp or he could simply ignore them. He will on occasion chase them.

My popcorns gone now. happy

Aquaqirl, You have insulted the entire state of California. This has the potential to inflame our members. You broke a rule.

Hipuks, Try to avoid the word "mofos" from now on.

ONLY replies offering advice to Hipuks about his problem are allowed from this point forward.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:39:13 AM by Debra » Logged

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Hipuks

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:58:40 AM »

That's perfect then, the 10G has a lot of plants including a Corkscrew Val to provide him with shade and a hiding place. He'll look incredible there. I really hope he doesn't eat the Ghost Shrimp, I love those little guys.

Vĭи§ŏиM㧧ĭ₣

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:08:55 AM »

I smell shrimp on the menu tonight Wink lol. I'm jealous because we can't get FW shrimp around here. I concur with Deb's, go all out with maintenance etc. to give the DG optimum conditions and he should be ok.

Personally I think 20g would be better, but that's just me.

I found I could easily fit another 20g on my bookshelf....maybe you could add one as well along with the 30g?

(on a side note I lmao at your first post.....but I appreciate the potential for offense by some Smiley )

Without friends everything is for nought.
moonbunny

United States United States

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »

O.K., Hipuks, I might get the tapeworm looked at...it's not unthinkable that tapeworms can grow *yards* in length before fragmented segments form multiple cysts in organ and muscle tissues, as well as causing some nasty B-vitamin deficiencies, living and feeding off their hosts for years...The good news is the condition is completely reversible. happy

So let’s talk about Danios.  Buying fish to cycle a tank is never recommended, see:   http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article14.html , but it looks like you’ve already learned that through experience.  And it's a positive step that you're looking to long term, stable stocking solutions for all of your tanks.  If both your 10g and 20g tanks are cycled, you have everything you need—between the gravel and filter squeezings—to safely cycle your tank without the Danios.  A local fish store would be glad to have your Danios and some stores might even give you store credit toward a future purchase.  If you’re no longer interested in keeping the Danios, that would be one way to go.  

Also, considering that Platys are livebearers, you may need the room for when fry come along.  But, maybe you have room for Danios, Platys and Corys now, how many of each do you have?  Considering that the cats occupy a different realm in the water column than livebearers, with a reasonable tank load and a very good filtration system, your 20h could be an interesting and dynamic tank. Danios are beautiful fish, esp. when they shoal they look a bit like tiny trout to me.

Have you had a chance to look at Badmans Fish Profiles?  http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profile.html  They can help you plan out your stocking options, then, you can consult http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_chart.html  for fish compatibility issues.  Choosing fish that natively come from water parameters similar to your own can help ensure that your fish will be healthy and live long lives in the water you have and is much easier and less expensive than trying to constantly amend your water.  

A 10g can be a challenge because it is so small—it can be tough to stock lightly enough and water chemistry is harder to keep stable in a smaller space than a larger one.  One option might be to work within the confines of small space.  Badmans own Susan McClure had written 2 articles on the subject of stocking a 10g: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article62.html, http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article63.html --both beautifully written.  Or you could always keep the 10g as a QT tank for sick or new fish, or you could sell it and put the money you get for it toward a larger tank.

You have lots of options.  The key is in thinking long term about your fish needs and enjoying the fish as they are.  Nearly everyone here has been through a scenario such as yours at some time.  Treat the people here with respect and you’ll have a lot of sympathetic friends who’ll be glad to help you with advice for your tanks.
Hipuks

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:19:24 AM »

VinsonMassif- Well, the problem is not so much the space, as it is me not having any money. That's why I set up a 10G planted tank and not a larger one, the Eco Complete alone was almost 30 bucks. Believe me, if I could I would set up a 50G planted and marry it, but it would cost quite some money. I even had to make the tables on where they are, with my uncle's help, in order to save money. And the reason I want to get a 30g is that I would be able to use the filters and heater from the 20g. It's all very carefully planned. The biggest problem now is how to get all the zebra danios without tearing down the tank...

Vĭи§ŏиM㧧ĭ₣

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:24:16 AM »

Fair enough. I wish you good luck on the catching front. With Danio's I found if you drop some flake on the surface then hold the net mid level you can catch them without any stress.

Without friends everything is for nought.
Hipuks

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 03:38:19 AM »

Moonbunny- I know, aren't tapeworms awesome?

Okay, In the 20H I have three Platies, the Dwarf Gourami, 5 bronze Cories and about 8-10 platy fry. So by moving the Dwarf Gourami, the stocking would be= Three Platies, 8 Zebra Danios, 6 Cories and the fry. I realize the tank might be overstocked if all the fry survive and grow into adults, thus the reason for getting a 30G later on.
I've looked at the stocking schemes and also I have a Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine that has the top 10 fish for 10 gallons tanks. The main thing for me though was keeping the fish I have, and see if I could move them around to fulfill their needs without giving any of them away.That's why I asked if the Dwarf Gourami would be okay in the 10G, if he wasn't, the I would give the Zebra Danios to the LFS.
And I do treat people with respect, that is, people who also respect me. But yeah, this forum is pretty cool, I've learned so many things here, me and my tapeworm thank all of you for the help

moonbunny

United States United States

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 06:04:57 AM »

I'll second your "awsome" and raise you a pic of a tapeworm-infested brain : ): www.scienceinafrica.co.za

And Happy Birthday and congratulations on your Platy fry, Hipuks! : )  They grow at a rate of about 1-2mm/wk from what I remember and by the end of a month you can really start to see their colors and patterns emerging.  As long as you have some Java Moss or other "nursery"-type plants the fry will hang out in there, eating what food falls their way and ememge fully 1 1/2-2 months later--just big enough not to be eaten (meanwhile, you can watch them swim along the gravel/substrate line evenings and nights.)  Otherwise "nature" will take its course and the other fish, esp, the Platies, are likely to eat the smaller, weaker fry...as long as you keep the other fish well-fed, there's a good chance you'll have a low mortality rate, but it's not uncommon to see 8-10 slide down to 3-5 strong survivors, esp. if they're just born.

Depending on the # of fry that survive, it might get crowded...about 3" each per Cory, 1 1/2" per Platy, 1" per on the Danios...But it would be a beautiful combination in a slightly larger, longer tank!  Esp. shoaling!  In the meantime, as long as you're keeping your O2 up it should be alright...but with the fry (if you're interested in keeping them) try to just siphon (for water changes) from the top of the tank.  I know, it sounds insane with that many fish not to clean the substrate, but for the month it'll take for the fry to get beyond being "bite-sized" your params should be managable.

TFH is an excellent mag, isn't it?  They have the most interesting diy articles (they had one about a yr ago on de-worming Platys with livestock de-wormer...I haven't tried it or could endorse it, but wow, interesting.  Plus there's the e-newsletter... Smiley  )

What you're saying makes sense, both with working with the fish you have and respect (it'll work here, really, it's a really good forum.)
Hipuks

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 08:22:01 AM »

I know that too well about the gravel vacuuming. Every week when I clean the tank I pick up two or three little guys... I don't even wanna think how many I have thrown down the sink without even realizing it. But yeah, my fry are pretty grown up, past the "eatable" phase. I might still have tiny fry under the gravel, but most of them are big enough to make it one their own. I'm only waiting for them to grow up to able to tell apart the sexes, I'm sorry for the male platies, but I can't have any females. They're fry machines....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's