Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 19, 2019, 11:00:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: !!!!!!!! My first egg babies...  (Read 22119 times)
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »

Ed's food pretty much is powdered. The adults can barely get it...it's not as fine as the powdered eggs though... What do you mean exactly about seeing them with a magnifying glass? I was just using a weak little one I have on them now. Studying an egg that is alone on a leaf, I think they are still curled up, though several are twitching. I assume once they hatch they will be uncurled? Or will they still be curled up... I really don't know what to expect. (Yes, I did google too, but a lot of it was not helpful in terms of what I should actually see. Most was along the lines of setting up breeding tanks and conditioning the parents.)

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »

Ive been doing waterchanges on the tiny fry tanks with a nylon stocking rubberbanded over the end of an airline hose.Cant get much debris up but its the only way not to suck up the fry Ive figured out so far.

Waiting will fill
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 09:38:09 AM »

thanks Gomez, I'll keep that in mind!

I woke up and checked on the fry. They are no longer on the leaves, so I will assume that they finished absorbing their yolk sacs and are in the container somewhere? There is a lot of moss in there, so I guess they are hiding in the blob, I have not seen any movement anywhere. I put in a drop of the egg mixture. I guess I'll just assume they are in there alive and continue to feed?

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »

I can now see at least 20 fry without the aid of a hand lens. Last night, I needed that to see 5 fry. Big improvement in growth I think!

Maybe I should give Kim a call. I bet she's lonely at work.

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 07:39:07 AM »

Gopi, I need an update. Don't call, I'm too nervous about ringing phones right now..lol.

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »

Well, Kim...

Fry are looking good. They are swimming more now. I don't have to look too terribly hard for them if they are swimming or near the sides, if they are in the moss, well...you know.

I did a "water exchange" today. I used the turkey baster and very carefully took 5 "baster-fulls" from the container with the baster against the bottom...no fry around. I squirted that into the tank and then "refilled" by tanking water from the tank. Should be a little better...for my peace of mind.

Eggy is going to lend me a (I think) 2 gallon critter carrier and air pump when she comes for our sleep over, but that won't be until next weekend (not this coming one, the next one). Will they be alright in the 6 cup container until then? I don't know how fast they are supposed to be growing. This set up works well, because Eggy is looking to buy the fry so she can just take them with. Smiley

How big should they be for me to stop feeding the powdered egg and start with the crushed/powered/demolished flake?

turtletoes

United States United States

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »

I found a handy tiny fry food on Dr f and S website. I placed my order on Sat and received it today!! I've never ordered from them, but based on this experience, they will be getting more of my business. I got the artificial rotifers and artificial artemia--they were only a few bucks each. I fed them to my rainbow fry as soon as it came in today. They range in age from 2 weeks to a day or so old and it seemed like they could all eat the rotifers, not sure they could all eat the artemia. I tried freshly hatched BBS this week, but I dont have as much luck hatching them as I do the little bow fry.(I prolly have close to 200 fry right now....) The bottles are small, but the fry dont need much food...... Good luck!! And Congrats!!!! Smiley
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »

I'd  move them to some other food very soon, as soon as you can get some.  Ed's food is very nutritious if you can get it small enough but for variety I would also look for some other tiny fry foods. The ones Lori mentioned are good I'm sure, you can also get small fry foods at brineshrimpdirect and kensfish but kensfish sends you a ton ( even though it's cheap ) so it will mostly be wasted.
Microworms are a favorite food of mine for fry but I've also successfully had them take some of the ultra small golden pearls ( buy a couple sizes ) and on spray dried krill ( from Kensfish ) which is super powdery for really little fry. 
I'll have to look into the rotifers sometime.
Okay...I'm thinking hard here...my friend who has bred all the known species of pseudomugil rainbows was struggling to get threadfin fry to eat...he had purchased about 9 varieties of fry foods and was trying them all, something was working, but I don't remember what it was. I do know that golden pearls and rotifers were amongst them.  I think maybe he got all that food from Jehmco. So you could take a look at them too if you want to try mail order.
You're kind of stuck picking up some stuff by mail order since hardly any stores seem to sell fry food. I've never even seen the Hikari fry bites before, are they really small?
I'll try to send you a worm culture soon, but I'm kind of crazy for the next few days.

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »

I'll try...hopefully packages would be small enough to go through the mail slot, otherwise, I have to walk to the PO to pick them up. (Such a pain.) I'll feed them egg again tomorrow and then move them over to the flake until I get something else. There is still a lot of infusoria in the container...I've seen some daphnia and some other things that I haven't felt like identifying.

Sound good?

PS. Lori, I like drsfostersmith as well. Smiley

turtletoes

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »

Kim, the hikari fry bites are just like powdered flake food. I found it at petsmart. It was a little expensive........you get a little .35oz/10g packet for like 7 bucks I think. My little guys were too small to eat it for about a week even with it being so small and me mashing/grinding it between my fingers when I tried feeding it. The fry also didnt seem all that interested in it. The artificial rotifers and artemia on the other hand, they have gone crazy for. Its an Azoo brand product. And it says "plus immunity" and has some vitamins, etc listed on the label.

I dont know if the Azoo containers are small enough to fit in a mail slot. If it was the normal sized slot that people sometimes have in their front doors, I think it would fit if they sent it in an envelope. The bottles are----- 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 2 1/2 inches tall.

It seems like the artemia bits are smaller than the hikari fry bites powder.

I cant really recommend anyone using the fry bites since my fry didnt seem to like them and the powder was too big for them to eat at 1st. Must be for bigger fry than bows are for the 1st week or 2??.......I was just thinking "What am I going to feed them??" today when the order came in, so that was good timing since they liked the Azoo stuff and I was out of freshly hatched BBS.........

I have had great success with growing insuforia in my fry tanks. Just took java moss out of the big tanks and put a good light on it. I was freaked out at 1st when I shook out the moss in the water and all this "stuff" came out of it. But, took it to a friend with a microscope and we found Tons of rotifers, microalgae, and daphnia. We found nothing bad in there and the large amounts of insuforia may be why the fry were not interested in the fry bites cuz they were spoiled on good live foods?? Smiley All I did to feed them for about the 1st week was shake the moss and they would feed on the floaties that came out of it.......

I have not tried Ed's food. I'll look into that when I need to stock up on food again. Any links to his food site handy??

I did order one more fry food and that was Instant BBS. Its Ocean Nutrition. Its supposed to be freshly hatched BBS-I guess in suspended animation somehow. Its in a small jar and Looks like BBS, in a small amount if liquid. Its needs to be refrigerated after opening and is supposed to be used within 6 weeks. Its WAY more than you need for 20 fry, but if you have other fish that would eat it, it might be worthwhile. I think it was $9. Its about .7 oz of pure BBS. If they like it, I think its a better option for me cuz I just dont do well with hatching those little critters!! 

Have fun with your little ones!!! Smiley
~Lori 

don't worry, be happy
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »

banner ads, Lori Smiley almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com The Breeder's Delight line of flake is very soft and crumbles easily. Mine is almost powdered now. LOL.

I have fed fry bites before, I'm pretty sure they are back at my parents' which makes them pretty useless to me!

My only real concern is that money is pretty tight since I have no income this semester. I hate to spend on the money on shipping... (But it might be worth not spending the money on gas and parking to find a store...I hate moving.) Other issue is that I need foods that can stay in my room. Fish food in the fridge or freezer is not going to put me on the good list with roomies. Smiley If I lived alone...no problem, I had all sorts of weird things in my freezer...

turtletoes

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »

Guess I'm immune to the banner adds. lol.

Those pre-hatched BBS sink just about instantly, so no good for the bow fry. And the size of the BBS is larger than real freshly hatched BBS. Maybe when they are older....or they may make a good little food for our various corals in addition to the frozen cyclops. I tried those with the fry BTW, and the cyclops were as big as the baby fish's heads!! That didnt work out too well. Again, maybe when they are older......

Good luck
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »

Lori...it's the "Badman's Recommended Links" They show up under the navigation tabs.

turtletoes

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

Its really funny. Last night after someone said the site is in a banner ad, I thought, well, I'll look for it next time I'm on here. I clicked on the page I was on in order to scroll down and "accidently" clicked the link that my eyes have been ingoring and was brought right to the fish food page. Smiley

The question I have about those foods now, after reading the ingredients is the Beef Heart in some of the foods. I thought that was not good for fish as that is not something they would typically eat in the wild. Another thing that I have had a long-standing question on is why do the fish foods for our FW fish, almost always, if not always, have seafood fish in them?? Fish from a land-locked lake or river/stream that has no brackish area would not ever have access to these salt water fish for food. Is it because the SW fish have better fats in them?? Or because  there are not commercial fishermen who catch large amounts of FW fish?? What about farm-raised FW fish?? I know they do not have as much of the good fats in them, but it seems more natural to me for FW fish to eat foods from a FW source.........

Thanks
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2008, 04:47:41 PM »

You can ask Ed about his choices. He is a member here.

The fry are starting to look more like fish and not bugs. Smiley

Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »

Gopi, sweety, can I send you some of mine?????

I have some of Ed's Egg Yolk Flake and it's just too powdered to feed....I'd be happy to send some your way Smiley

By the way, I've been following along and wanted to tell you Congrats  party

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

Shari, of course you can! I would love it!

I hope you're looking forward to summer camp? Sometime early May, I think...

Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 05:10:37 PM »

That I am SmileySmiley

I hope you don't want them back   run_away

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »

Eventually, but it might be a couple/few months...Plus, if it's too hot to ship, you might have to hold on to them until it cools down...

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »

Update...

The last of the fry disappeared this weekend. They were about guppy fry sized, but when I got home today there was nothing. I hadn't really been home and I hadn't spotted them since Friday. But...the next batch of eggs...we'll see if I can get them past the 1 month point.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's