Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 01, 2014, 03:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't seem to get rid of fin rot  (Read 1552 times)
macdancer
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »

My two bettas are still having problems with tail rot. I've used Melafix, even more than recommended, and they still seem to have it. It's not terribly bad, but still it concerns me. I've done complete water changes upto 2x per week. I've been using tap water treatment Stress Coat and there is nothing in the tank that would catch on their fins and no strong water currents.  Any other treatment opions???
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »

Stop the melafix.  You've been using it too long.  I know someone that had fin rot problems with his betta and he cured it by putting him into a 10 gallon community tank with plenty of current.  Took awhile for the boy to get up his swim muscles, but he also has currentless spots to relax when he feels like it.  His fins healed up and he's been doing quite well for over a year now.
Take care,
Mary.
macdancer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »

Thanks, I just went to pecto's website and I found Bettafix, should I try that?? I don't have a second tank to put my fishies in.
Michael B
Of All the Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind the Most.
Senior Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »

freshwater fish love fresh water.  'nuf said!

Mentally confused and prone to wandering......

www.noclownsinacube.net
branded21
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:25 PM »

You could try daily 50% water changes for a week or so.... Fresh water can be great medicine....
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »

How big is the tank? I have a Betta in a 12" cube. I fixed that problem by doing 75% water changes daily, and reducing the current to almost nothing. If your tank is <20g then 75% pwc would take almost no time at all. Afterall you are wanting to have a really healthy fish Smiley

Without friends everything is for nought.
jdfowler
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »

Thanks, I just went to pecto's website and I found Bettafix, should I try that?? I don't have a second tank to put my fishies in.
BettaFix and MelaFix have the same active ingredient, 'Melaleuca' (Tea Tree oil) at different concentrations (1.0% vs. 0.2%).  Please refer to:  http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=printview&t=17002&start=0.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation