Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 08:28:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: im sharing a ten gallon..and i have some Q's.  (Read 2849 times)
josh WM
slap shot

Tanks: 55g African Cichlids _ 20 gallon other_ 10 gallon neolamprogus Brevis_3 gallon guppy:s

And then it happend.....

« on: February 28, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »

Hello everybody,
       My neighbors have really gotton into fish and keeping them...( I think mainly because they see i like too... lame) ANYWAY! they are going to purchase a 10 gallon tank. ( they are VERY cheap at wal-mart. 10 dollars!!) Of course thats only the tank. We have benn using a small hermet crab tank for a red clawed crab named Bobert ( R.I.P.) and they seem very intrested in ADF. (NOT ACF)1, I was wondering are hey very hardy...my neighbors are only in second grade and soo i really want something hardy and fun to watch. 2. What kind of filteration should we use. 3. What other fish do you recommed?
THANKS
Josh WM fiddler01_2a

I LOVE MUSTANGS!  "They get mean when the light goes green!"
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:26:34 AM »

ADFs are not what I would consider hardy as it is very difficult to find healthy ones at the store.  Most are not fed adequately and are sick and starving when you bring them home.  Care has to be taken in feeding them in a community tank to ensure that they get some food; they are not smart about finding it on their own, and most fish will out compete them for the available food.

That said, if you can find healthy ones, they're terrific.

They require the same filtration as fish; any filter that's appropriate for a ten gallon is fine.

Here's a link to an article that a member wrote on stocking a ten gallon, that will answer your last question:

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,11184.0.html

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
josh WM
slap shot

Tanks: 55g African Cichlids _ 20 gallon other_ 10 gallon neolamprogus Brevis_3 gallon guppy:s

And then it happend.....

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »

that helped a little  does anyone have any really hardy fun watching fish...maby like a cordias? ( I hope i spelled it right) like a panda cory or something.........would a HOB be okay as a filter?
THANKS!
Josh WM ()(

I LOVE MUSTANGS!  "They get mean when the light goes green!"
turtletoes

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »

I see this post is a little old, but figured I'd add my 2 cents anyway Smiley

A HOB would be fine for a filter.

I've run into the same trouble with undernourished frogs. If you absolutely need to have a frog, I would suggest getting it 1st and feeding it well while it has the tank to itself to get it healthy and used to your feeding regimen before adding any fish that will grab the food 1st.

Some people have suggested using a turkey baster to get the food to the frog in a community tank. I've tried that method, but mine hid out in a hard to reach area, and even if I squirted the food right in front of its face, it still had a hard time finding it before the fish ate it. They are really hard to feed!!

I'm considering possibly trying ADF again, but this time in a shrimp/snail only tank. These creatures being scavengers, might give the frog more time to find to food. But, again, I havent seen any well-fed frogs at any LFS lately.

Hope you figured out a good little set up that your young neighbors will enjoy and that the fish or whatever you decided to place in there can thrive......
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Travatron
20 Gallon: Apisto Agassizi, Bolivian Ram, Neon Tetras, Peppered Corys

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 03:27:44 AM »

that helped a little  does anyone have any really hardy fun watching fish...maby like a cordias? ( I hope i spelled it right) like a panda cory or something.........would a HOB be okay as a filter?
THANKS!
Josh WM ()(

After keeping an ADF and some cories together, I would not recommend it.  ADFs blindly search around for food until they stumble upon some.  Its very hard for them to get any food when cories are around because they are both bottom feeders and frogs are much much worse at finding the food.  The only way I could make sure my frog got food was to over feed a lot so he could get some before the cories ate it all.  A few hardy tetras might be a better choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation