Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2019, 07:59:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: comb jellie/ ctenophore  (Read 13911 times)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« on: March 02, 2008, 08:40:43 AM »

I can't decide if this should go under "other pets" or alternative set ups!

I was going to clean my big tank yesterday.  Not a full water change, but just clean the algae out of it and swap out 20 gallons of water (<10%).  I had buckets of water in the basement that had been sitting there about 2 weeks that I had planned to use.  When I pried the lid off one of the buckets, it was glowing!

I have a comb jellie living in a bucket!  How cool is that?  I can't believe he lived in the basement for 2 weeks! I don't dare put him in the tank as the filters would kill him, so I am not really sure what to do with it.  Its currently in a water pitcher on top of the tank.  He has little tentacles that stretch out to catch his food (algae I am wringing off the algae sponge that I use to clean the tank glass) and lots of cilia that beats as he swims.  Its so cool!  If I poke him, he lights up like a little Christmas tree and makes the pitcher look like a night light!  He is about the size of a marble.  I have no idea what species he is, but I know the real common one around here gets to be bigger than a golf ball.

Perhaps I am easy to amuse, but I have a pet ctenophore and you guys don't.... so there!  (And yes I do realize that this is a lot like having a pet sandwich bag!) jolly1 jolly1 jolly1 jolly1 jolly1 jolly1

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Markalot

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:17:33 AM »

http://njscuba.net/biology/sw_jellies.html#CombJellies

Cool.  So which Comb is it?

M a r k
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »

LOL....there are a lot more varieties than that around here.  If it was bigger I would say its a sea gooseberry.  They are what we have around here in HUGE numbers.  But my ID skills are just not good enough to ID a juvie sea goose berry.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Gypers
Why oh why me?

Tanks: 55, 29, 22,10.

Paradise Survivor

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »

Karen, that is so cool! Are you going to try to keep it or take it back?

Because I said so.
Wizzy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »

Well i've never heard of it but I would expect nothing less.....there is only you that could have a glowing green gooseberry in a water jug and think that its Christmas again ! You potty woman lollll xxxx You have to name it WOBBLE.

tonights forcast...it will be dark
aquagirl900

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:06:34 PM »

I want one!

Keeping fish healthy is harder than keeping people healthy...people can tell you what's wrong!
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »

*jealous*

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »

Oh yeah? Well I have a, ah, ummm, have a, ah, one of those, aww forget it. Yours is just too cool!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:03:34 PM by russ » Logged

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »

Eat your hearts out... you all wish you had one of these in a beer glass on top of your tank!

All I have to say is... its really hard to take a picture of something "see through!"

April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 08:28:54 PM »

you should do it at night, and make it glow
that would be awesome Wink

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
Aquaseafoam

Tanks: 2x75 gallon, 2x29 gal, 2x20 gal, 3x 10 gal

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:48:01 PM »

Thats pretty awesome Karen! I do wish I had a glowing pet sandwich bag like that!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"-Amanda Bloom
Zach

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 08:55:57 PM »

That is so cool!!!
maybe you could put it in a jellyfish tank.
I heard of when people house jellyfish, they put them into this short sideways cylnder shaped tank.
the intake valve is next to the outflow valve in the center of the tank and it creates a merry-go-round current that keeps the jellyfish in constant slow motion without the risk of the jellyfish stiking to the filter intake.
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »

That is just too cool, Karen happy

Maybe you should set up a tank for it  kewl

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 07:12:33 AM »

So 12 days later I still have my pet sandwich bag..... I squeezed out the filter on the protein skimmer in the the glass he is living in.... nearly every thing that came out is "self propelled."  That tank has more zoo plankton than even I realized.

The sand dollars were doing their bull dozer impressions last night.....I can't even understand how they can eat as many of the sand dwelling microfauna and yet I still have tons of little worms and critters left.

I have a new thing "growing up out of my sand" as of this weekend too!  I can't wait to see what it turns into!  It may be a sponge of some sort, but right now its a clear fibrous gooey spot in the sand...the sand dollars avoid it, but the snails cruise over it as do the star fish.  I need to get a picture of it.  No clue what it may be!

Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »

I'd be at that tank all day and night, sounds awesome!
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 11:37:42 AM »

I'm so jealous......well, at least I want to come see Smiley

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
TruCelt
Noticeably Yakky Exception

Tanks: 100 gal. Loach tank, 12 gal. snails, shrimp, and betta

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

What you need is an in-tank refugium.  That way the little guy will get enough oxygen.  Erm . .  .  they do use oxygen, right?   blush

That is just soooo cool!  Pleease take night picture for us?  Pretty please, with sugar on top?!?!?

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it . . . Edgar Allan Poe
Wizzy

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »

Ive been reading about your 'teen-o-fora'. ( sea gooseberry )  I am sure you already know but, unlike jellyfish, which move by contracting their bodies, ctenphores move by rhythmically beating their 8 'combs' which are rows of many thousands of hair-like cilia ( greek for eyelashes ) .
That means that ya got a glowing gooseberry with beautiful fluttery eyelashes in ya tank.

AND ................. while a jellyfish can regenerate a missing tentacle, half a comb jelly regenerates into a whole one again !!!!!
How useful is that !!!!!!

secorneli
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »

glowing gooseberry with beautiful fluttery eyelashes i

Wizzy, you just hurt my eyes a lot!  I've got pressure phosphene but with my eyes open! LOL
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »

Wizzy, you may NOT cut my sandwich bag in half and make two out of it!

TruCelt
Noticeably Yakky Exception

Tanks: 100 gal. Loach tank, 12 gal. snails, shrimp, and betta

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »

I think you should name the Jelly "Ziplock"!

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it . . . Edgar Allan Poe
Wizzy

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:35 AM »

You read my mind . jolly1

aquagirl900

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 08:28:17 PM »

cut him in half so i can have one...then I'll let mine grow and cut him in half and give one to wizzy!

Keeping fish healthy is harder than keeping people healthy...people can tell you what's wrong!
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »

The poor little creature not even out of a glass and cut in three. 
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 09:59:07 AM »

Just curious Karen, Do u have any Feather Duster's within any of your marine tanks. I used to have some as a kid when I had setup my first reef aquarium oh so many...many years ago. A few were very colorful.

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's