Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 20, 2019, 05:07:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aggressive Swordtails? - UPDATE  (Read 5645 times)
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« on: March 04, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »

re: trouble in my tank since the Swordtails came...horsefaced loach leapt out of tank...(ohhh nooo thread)

I just can't decide what to do. To be perfectly honest I have not caught the swordtails displaying aggressive behavior. I like the female, she's quite pretty. The male has calmed down too in the last couple of days and isn't as hyperactive as he was. They haven't eaten any fry so they obviously aren't predatory. He does spend a lot of time nosing around at the substrate though, and could be a disturbing presence I guess, Just saw him poking his nose into the bn's cave and caused him to have a little hissy fit.
The situation with the horsie is too weird though, Horsefaced loaches live on and in the substrate, they never leave it unless they're seriously agitated, only time I ever saw one swim up into the water column was when we were chasing it down to move it.  So something Obviously upset the loach, badly enough to send him up and out of a large deep tank.
It's possible that the cichlid just accidently startled him I guess, it could happen. But it never has before, is it coincidence or is it the swordtail? That is the question.
I have had an injured cory once or twice in the past that I blamed on the cichlid, so the current cory victim might not be due to the Sword either.

I hate to send the Swords to lfs purgatory if they're innocent. My next consideration is to move them to the 75.
It's bottom dominated by Zebra loaches...just try picking on them, ha! I'm not worried about a Swordtail against a pack of Botia. But!  There are pearl Gourami's in the tank too, and lots of small tetra's. One of the gourami's is an old frail gal. 

Swordtails are a new fish for me, I know almost nil about their behavior. so...Swordtail people, what's the verdict? Are they suitable in my tanks? Am I unfairly persecuting them? Are they prone to a lot of aggression and other vile habits?  I need to make a decision. They are low on the totem pole here, if they're a problem they are going, I'm not rearranging the tanks around them.

thanks for your input.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:22:36 AM by Kim The Goddess of Rainbows » Logged

Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »

LOL, Kim!  You didn't even make it a month.  On February 25th I posted this in TTTNE:
Kim, that sounds like one of Wizzy's tanks.  I look forward to your posts in a few weeks.  I can almost see it now...."stupid swordtails!  They're filling my tanks up with baby fish!!"
OK, so it's not the situation I expected, but we all knew you'd be posting an "I hate my fish" thread eventually.  Poor Kim.  Her fish are out to drive her mad.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
josh WM
slap shot

Tanks: 55g African Cichlids _ 20 gallon other_ 10 gallon neolamprogus Brevis_3 gallon guppy:s

And then it happend.....

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »

Dont bite the hand that feeds fishies.......

poor kim.....sorry to hear about your loach and swordtail problems. i say get anouther tank for the swordtails! lol always need more tanks... Smiley

I LOVE MUSTANGS!  "They get mean when the light goes green!"
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:25:47 AM »

lol! Stella you pegged it. They're driving me to drink.
Josh I have plenty of tanks! No more!!  Smiley

After I cleared all the plants out of the 75 I could see what I actually had in there. Besides the pearl gourami's and loaches I had 4 different small schooling species so I decided to just increase schools and leave that tank be. So no swordtails in there. I did increase my neon tetra's to 12 today and my gold tetra's to 9. The Black neons are still short at 5 but I'll have to look around some more for them. The Lambchop rasbora's I only have two of are probably SOL. Too hard to find.

I'm still up in the air about the Swordtails, I'm not entirely convinced it was HIS fault. It could have been Sass the Sajica, there's a first time for anything.  I also added another Horsie! Just to add to my angst and general worry, lol. He's a teeny tiny baby only about 2" long. I don't even expect to see him for months. The brave horsie came out tonight, just him though. The skittish one that jumped the tank hasn't shown his nose. I can only hope he's alright.

I'm becoming greatly attached to the female sword, she's really cool looking and seems tame and mellow. I still hate the male, he's ugly bright orange, doesn't go with the tank, don't know why I bought him in the first place. But my heart is soft and I feel bad about kicking him out unless I'm sure that he really is a troublemaker.
Rin tried to talk me into getting rid of both of them because she doesn't think it's fair to the female to keep just one. I've taught her too well dang it! rofl
I'm not sure that female Swords care if they have company though. She seems quite secure and content. Doesn't hang around with the male, if she can possibly avoid him that is.

Is it inappropriate to keep one female swordtail?

VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »

My 2 cents worth:
Firstly what were you doing letting yourself impulse buy swordtails, of all the possible wonderful options?
Secondly bloody males - always up to no good.
Thirdly listen to Rin, get rid of the pesky things and be done with them.

Without friends everything is for nought.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »

I love swordtails, especially males. I had one that kept harmony in a large tank of fish that liked to squabble. He would stop the other fish from fighting and then go to the center of the tank (his thrown) and keep an eye out for trouble. He was not an aggressive or nippy fish. He was more like a lazy cop.

I have kept and raised swords without the problems that you're blaming on the male. I think you have a deep resentment of this fish and perhaps you need counseling. LMAO

One sword can be kept alone and be very happy!!! happy Think about it, does she really want a male bugging her? Nope, single life will be just fine.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Stella G

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:38:06 AM »

Besides, she's probably pregnant by now, anyway.  She won't be alone for long, and then Kim can finally post "stupid swordtail!  She's filling up my tank with baby fish!"   Wink

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »

lol!  that settles it then, the male swordtail is going to Alabama, along with one of the rotten little houdini bristlenoses, if I can catch one.

Swordtail fry will be sent to Stella.

Vinson, I need your phone number, I'll call you everytime I'm in a fish store and need to be talked down. 

I will keep the pretty female. Smiley

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:47 AM »

Just in case anyone was wondering about the fate of the Incredibly Annoying Swordtail here's a copy paste of my failed attempt to get rid of him locally.

Free- please take this silly swordtail off my hands

No idea what his problem is but apparently he has decided he hates the tank.
Purchased from AQL a few weeks ago, he was fine, swimming all over chasing the female.
Two days ago he took to sitting in a corner, not hiding mind you, right front corner. Would move away if he was disturbed but not far. Color bright, moved fine, no fin clamping.

There appeared to be nothing wrong with him but after a day and night of that I put him in a 5g tank with some epsom salts in case he was constipated.
Never saw him poop but since then he has been perfectly happy, ate tonight and spends his time trying mightily to impress a bright orange female betta in the tank next to him. She seems unimpressed, poor guy.

I can only conclude that someone in the big tank hurt his feelings, lol. I never observed any aggression or other "behavior" towards him from the other fish but who knows?

I don't really want to put him back in just to have to pull him out again if this continues, and truthfully, I don't really lilke him. He's bright orange, doesn't look right in the tank.

I'll bring him to you.

Stella G

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:25 PM »

LOL!  I can't believe no one took you up on that.   Wink
I think you need to work on your hard sell.

Instead of saying "I don't really like him. He's bright orange," say "Bright orange Swordtail!"  Instead of lamenting his failed attempt to woo the female betta, say "gets along with other fish.  Even bettas!"  Never saw him poo?  "Low waste producer!"  Sell it, baby!!

You're never going to get rid of him at this rate.  You've got to work it, girl.   lol

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »

Extraordinarily handsome marigold male Swordtail. Ready to breed and produce multicolored fry. He is currently living in a tank and receiving special care to condition him for excellent health and longevity. Gets along with other community fish and even has co-exisited with Betta and other hard to keep fish without any problems. This is one special guy and I hate to part with him, but I must due to some mental problems that I'm having at this time. I will hand deliver him to you. I guarantee live delivery!!!

Hurry!!! This is a steal of deal!!! First inquiry receives this fish. ><> GOOD Luck!

(Try that, LMAO!)

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 10:37:38 AM »

ROFLMAO!!! 

Yep, I'm just not cut out for sales obviously.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM