Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2019, 09:03:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do shrimp out eat snails  (Read 3688 times)
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« on: March 06, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »

So i ended up with pond snails and ramshorn snails in my 10g Betta tank and i do not want the snails in there. i was wondering if red cherry shrimp will out eat the snails and free me of them. If not is there anything i could put in a 10g with a Betta that will eat or out eat the snails.

Happy Trails,
Nick
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »

No, nothing that I know of. Feed less, so none gets to the bottom, and squish all that you see Smiley

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:57:12 PM »

Feed less squish more and either accept them or tear your tank down scrub it let it dry, filter and all.

The only pest snail that I can/will tolerate is ramshorns (planorbida). They are tiny and appear to spend the majority of their time in the substrate. Plus I need them for my DPs.

There isn't anything that you can put in a 10 that will get rid of them. I'm sorry to say that shrimp won't Out Eat them. Remshorns eat tiny little particles of food that we probably don't even see.

Squish/Pick/Toss

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »

Don't forget trap.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »

I am beginning to believe that Red-Claw Shrimp actually do eat some snails.  In the 40-long where they have been establish the longest for me (other than in their species tank), the small snail population has definitely decreased over the last year+.  There are still adults (common ramshorns), but I see few to no young small shrimp.  Ditto for the 30XH where they have been almost as long.

But I don't think most folks would want to take a year plus to get the snail population down, and in a ten you could not keep much else - these are the largest algae-eating shrimp.  At sexual maturity both sexes are the size of, or larger than, adult male Amanos.  And they get larger than that as the continue growing. 

Or they may just out-compete the snails for food.  Or perhaps they eat the egg plaques and/or the youngest hatchlings.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Aquaseafoam

Tanks: 2x75 gallon, 2x29 gal, 2x20 gal, 3x 10 gal

The Crypt Keeper

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »

I have witnessed cherry shrimp picking out snail shells. I do not know whether the snail was alive when they started though.  At any rate, i don't think they would put a big dent in a large population of snails.
IME eventually ramshorns will out compete the pond snails.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"-Amanda Bloom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation