Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2019, 06:48:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding shrimp and snails that need brackish to SW  (Read 3522 times)
turtletoes

United States United States

« on: March 10, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone here has played with breeding any of the different shrimp or snails that are said to require brackish to SW for the newly hatched wigglers to turn into little shrimp??(please forgive my brainfart on what that stage of development is called!! Smiley

I have orange shrimp, amano shrimp, and ghost shrimp as well as several types of nerite snails that all are said to need brackish conditions for their eggs to hatch.

If I take the snail eggs out and place them in brackish water, could that work?? Do the snails need to lay the eggs in the brackish water??

If I add some salt to the shrimp tank and vary the salinity can that help to produce offspring??

What salinity is best for breeding these snails and shrimp??

Thanks!! Smiley
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »

The Ghost may or may not need BW/SW to produce viable babies, it depends on the species.  The commonest in my area LFS (shrimp are from the Gulf Coast for us) do not.  The planktonic stage is short, they settle out quickly, but the female should be removed after releasing the hatchlings if your really want the babies as she may eat them.

There was an excellent write-up on Amanos, but I can't get it to come up - in case it is a temp. outage:

http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:17 PM »

Ghost shrimp have been known to mass populate in FW, as long as you have the FW species which is what is most commonly sold in stores.

Amano shrimp - Move the female to her own tank when she is carrying eggs. As soon as you see the free swimming wigglers move her out of the tank. Make the wiggler tank full marine. Instant Ocean, etc. should be fine. No need to do it slowly. The eggs take around 5 weeks to hatch. In the wild the wigglers would swim to the ocean and eat and grow. Brewers yeast is said to be a good first food. (Hope the link above works.)

Adult amanos live in FW, so don't add salt to their tank. SW is for the growing wigglers only.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
turtletoes

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:34:49 AM »

Thanks guys. I couldnt get that link to work anywhere I found it on any site. I tried playing with it a bit and didnt get the article. Maybe tomorow..............thanks for clarifying that they are indeed FW and not brackish or SW. There are so many aquatic creatures that are mislabeled one way or the other.

I did find this site-it has Mike's way on it too, but the link doesnt work......... I only read thru the 1st page of this site, but it has a couple "wrong ways" to breed the amanos. lol. I actually came upon one of the articles, the one by Wilma. I think on this site, its wrong way # 1.  It didnt seem right when I read it the other day. Guess I'm not the only skeptic. Why do people make up stories to post online?? Are they trying to look cool or something??? Its getting too late, and now I'm too easily aggravated. ha ha. Here's the site, and I'll keep searching for Mike's article. Wonder what happened?? I hope his site is just temporarily down.................

http://caridinajaponicabreeding.blogspot.com/

don't worry, be happy
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »

Wilma was breeding another crustacean without realizing it.  She should withdraw that article.

The notes you cite are okay, but the other article is far superior.  It has be repeated by other successfully.  Too bad it has fallen off the web.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
turtletoes

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 12:52:28 PM »

Thanks again for your input. In that last link, they have a link to Mike's page(again it still doesnt work) as the 1st "right way" to breed the amano shrimp. The 2nd "right way" is this guy. He's a French aquarist who has used Mike's way and adapted it for his own breeding purposes.

Here's the link to the home page if anyone else is interested: Its complete with pictures and he explains most everything fairly clearly.
http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/English/index.html

One question I have is that he uses a salinity of 33-34ppm for the salt water. From what I know about reef-keeping in the aquarium, you want anywhere from 22-25ppm. Is this higher salinity more like a "Brine" water?? I havent checked to see what qualifies as "brine" salt water.

Anther thing is he cultures phytoplankton for feeding the larval stage. It reminds me of culturing green water for newly hatched baby rainbowfish. So, this doesnt intimidate me in anyway. It was a whole lot easier than I thought it was going to be for the freshwater culture, so I'm excited about playing with saltwater critters. I SO need my own microscope with a camera in it!! Smiley ----And, of course a good resource for identifying anything I find in the water.......

We have an established reef tank with a refugium that I could steal some algae and critters from for the Amano baby larvae grow out tank, but I know that we have larger critters in there that could eat the baby shrimp.......... Anyone have a place that you can just order the specimens he grows in his baby amano tank?? He says his marine phytoplankton is Dunalliela Salina but that he thinks any marine phytoplankton- including Thallassiosera Pseudomonas would work. I guess I could just try culturing some of our reef water and see what appears and then go from there.

thanks again for any input anyone has on breeding shrimp and/or snails that need brackish to salt water in the beginning stages of development......anyone have any input on breeding nerite snails?? Is it the eggs that need to go in brackish water?? Or the newly hatched little snails that go into the brackish water?? And, do they need full marine water like the amanos seem to at least based on this person's experience?? Anyone found any decent articles on breeding nerites??
thank you
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
turtletoes

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »

One more request. Does anyone have Mike's article that was on his webpage: http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm ??? Since the link doesnt work at least for the time being, I'm wondering if he changed websites and could be found under a different name or subject?? I've tried searching for various keywords in the website address but have not had any luck. If someone happens to have this article, could you post it here or IM me??
Thanks again
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM