Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 17, 2014, 12:33:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I tell when my guppies are close to giving birth?  (Read 67179 times)
hilltopper
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »

Some of my females are huge; but, how will I know when she is extremely close to giving birth so i can move her to a seperate aquarium just for birthing and fry?
Kribensis12
SMILE! God loves you!

Tanks: 2; 30G fish tanks, 1; 20G Flat Hexagon

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »

Well, guessing by your question, you have a livebearer! What kind of livebearer? If it is a platy,  swordtail, or guppy, they will show a gravid spot( some while mollies will also) and the bigger and darker it gets, usually, the closer she is to birth. Also, stoping eating could be a sign. Plus if she is reclusive, that's a sign. But a great indicater is when their stomach box of and arent round, but a thick, bulky box. Got any pic's? I could help tell when she MIGHT give birth.

John 3:16 . READ IT.

I absolutely LOVE fish!
Michael B
Of All the Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind the Most.
Senior Staff

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »

Here's a hint Kribensis12:

Re: How can I tell when my guppies are close to giving birth?

Mentally confused and prone to wandering......

www.noclownsinacube.net
Kribensis12
SMILE! God loves you!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 04:52:34 PM »

Here's a hint Kribensis12:

Re: How can I tell when my guppies are close to giving birth?

Sorry dudde, i didnt see it say guppies. I thought it said " How can i tell when my fish are close to giving birth" . Since thier guppies, the info i supplied above will suffice.

I absolutely LOVE fish!
alexdshoney
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »

I thought guppies were only supposed to be pregnant for up to 40 days.  My guppy is so huge I think she is going to explode and she has been that way for about 4 months.  I can see the eyes of the fry but she just keeps on going.  What, if anything should I do?
Kribensis12
SMILE! God loves you!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »

Guppies, like most livebearers( in exception of some half-beaks and the pike livebearer) give birth once a month. Your fish would be dead if it was pregnant for 4 months. It has probably given birth many times, but you never noticed it( thats happend to me before), i would suggest you putting her in a breeder or in a seperate tank( prefferably a seperate tank).

I absolutely LOVE fish!
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »

I would advise against the breeder net. They cause more stress for the mother than they are worth, and females have been known to abort a birth due to stress. If you really want to save the babies, you can remove the mother to a separate tank and provide lots of grassy type plants for cover for the fry--java moss, floating plants, etc., live or plastic will work.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
ireland04
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »

Hi, I have guppies and one that I call my breeding girl guppy because she is forever pregnant. Guppies only carry there babies for 28 days. My breeding girl has had three sets of babies. I can tell when she's getting ready to give birth by being able to see the eyes of the babies inside, I usually know that it will be a week at the most before she gives birth. Make sure you have plenty of ground cover and hiding places for the little ones to hide out in otherwise they will not survive. I have in my tank baby hide out grass as well as plants, wood and rocks. Seems to work. Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation