Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 24, 2014, 10:38:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishroom tank racks  (Read 9847 times)
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« on: March 25, 2008, 11:00:24 PM »

Or maybe how many fishtanks fit on the head of a pin! lol2
Heres the rack I built to hold 9 40g breeders.On top is a 65g a 75g and the small tank in the middle is full of baby bettas

I dont have room to get it in prebuilt so I came up with a system.I prebuild the uprights with the front to back joists.Then cut the 2x4 that the tank sits on to length.Paint it all then assemble in place.I use "L" and "T" construction brackets in the back for added lateral stability.This next one was built to hold 3 30 long tanks.Built the same way,then assembled in place. On the right is the original first rack I built
When I first opened this fishroom.It holds 2 55g 4 20 long on top and there are 3 20 long a sump filter and a dehumidifyer on the bottom.

And one that holds 4 15g tanks.And this is the "roomy" half of my fishroom!If you go left at the 15g past the betta barracks,you get to the other half of the fishroom,with 2x125g 11x20g 4x30g 1 45 tall.in a 9'x9' space!

Ill see if I can get photos of the rest tommorow!

Waiting will fill
Mr T Rides BMX

Now making lures

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »

you have very nice pots  happy

2- 125gal
1- 55gal
Markalot

Tanks: 46g planted, 40g saltwater

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:34:51 AM »

Holy cow.  Looks like a full time job!  I assume you're a breeder, maybe I missed the intro post?

M a r k
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »

Sure I breed fish but its still a hobby,not a job.I had a small fishroom in my parents house when I was a kid and figured when I got my own house.... Smiley
This part of the fishroom I built as soon as I bought the place.The tanks were smaller then lots of 5-20g tanks.When I first got married I had a disaster that wiped out all my fish.I didnt have time or $$ to start again at that point so I shut down the fishroom.I returned to the hobby with a vengeance(lol) 3 or so years ago.Most of the tanks were used or free and I resealed 3/4 of them myself.

Waiting will fill
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »

Realized I never finished the "tour".If you go foward again till you are facing the 15g tanks and look left you see the place where I cut through the wall to the new part of the fishroom.

Its the betta barracks where I house the young males.Hopefully for only a month or so while thier fins grow in.I cant take credit for the rack idea,I copied from a setup designed by a former IBC president.Its designed to be self draining and I plan to add drippers for semiauto waterchanges this spring.Heres a better view.

Waiting will fill
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

The other half of the fishroom was built to contain the 2 125g tanks I picked up on a cheap deal then realized I had no place to put  crazy
Heres a view of them,they both share a 40g sump filter.Underneat are 5 20g and 3 30g that I use for fry growout tanks.

Another rack that holds 6 20g tanks.on the left is a 45 tall I use for breeding briggs.

That rack is actually coming down this spring I have some 55g tanks and 40 breeders I want to fit in that corner,and keep the 20s.
I just picked up a roll of 5% limo tint I plan to use as background on most of the tanks,getting that on,my semiauto waterchange systems and getting the last of the tanks in will be my projects this summer.

Waiting will fill
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:33:26 PM »

Very nice!  I like your fish room.  The last fish room I was in the guy had his tanks barren.  No plants, no substrate, only breeding tubes and slate for his plecos and angelfish.  His "display" tank in the living room had 5 koi angelfish in it, no substrate, no plants, and no lights on anything.  Honestly, I felt sorry for the fish he kept.  What kind of life is that?
Take care,
Mary.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »

Well I do keep some of the fry tanks bare bottom,but the room is  for my enjoyment so I do some decorating,and to put the fish at ease too.It is a little more work,but if I wanted less work Id keep less tanks! lol2
Fishroom currently holds 43 tanks not counting the betta barracks.

Waiting will fill
Jinxstir
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:11:05 PM »

Looks amazing, great job. I wish I was as lucky as you. My boss, I mean my wife, says the three I have is enough. Sad But I'm not giving up. happy
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 11:21:40 PM »

lol I know a guy on another forum,he told me his wife said only 2 tanks in the house,so he got a 125g and a 265g  Smiley

Waiting will fill
superpap56

capt.video space helmet on oh Captain Video!

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 11:22:46 PM »

if i put that in my house or anywhere on this property it would likely end up in the mine shaft below---you gonna have any free time to visit me and help me setup tanks on a smaller scale?lmao
  sir-i salute you.
  very nice.

One ,knowing I'm one ..hearing of two...like a child believing dreams-always a dream to take you home--day after day -there comes a night , there comes a knowing when you laugh.
rainbowbratt

Tanks: I cant bring myself to count all of them. :)

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:13:44 AM »

Hey Larry.

Nice!! Wish I had the carpentry skills, desires to do such things. I like your idea of putting some of the tanks sideways on the racks to get more tanks into the space onthe shelves. I just may have to steal that idea someday...........my summer project is outside. Ponds for spawning fish. In Colorado. lol. We'll see how that works out. Smiley thats a Lot of tanks. What do you breed besides bn, briggs, and bettas?? I think I saw some angels........what else you got in all that tank space??

Thanks for sharing
~Lori

rainbow-fish.org
Wizzy

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 03:34:35 AM »

So thats a fish room !!!   Oh gomez, dont give me ideas !

I reckon i can see silver dollars and are they a pair of Convicts or Sajicas in that tank with them ?

tonights forcast...it will be dark
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 07:51:56 AM »

No those are rotkiel severum.An updated list of what I have lol Id have to go look lol.Yes I do have a spawning pair of smoke(black x silver)angels.Im not focused on any one group I have everything from guppies to frontosa.

My wife gos to all the auctions with me and feeds on days Im at work too many hours to feed the fish.A few months ago she saw a 10% off at petco coupon come in and asked if that $1 a gallon sale was soon lol got to love having a supportive spouse!

I cant take credit for the sideways tank idea,thats fairly common in breeder facilities.

Waiting will fill
Ed

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 08:24:10 AM »

Looks like a nicely organized fish room.  When are you going to add on to it?  LOL

Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »

Wooooow...I am envious, It's been over 35 years since My brother and I had a fishroom and we only totaled 8 tanks ranging from 5 gallons to 55 gallons and that's when we haD a basement to house all those tanks. They were all aluminum , black putty based heavy frames, some with slate bottoms, heavily weighted tanks to say the least. However, I'm not envoius of the water change chores you must go through. I'm sure u have a finely tuned system for that...LOL. Great and thanks for sharing. Florida has no basements, only sinkholes...I suppose I can fit more tanks in the garage, I'm hinting to the wife for a 200 gallon and the looks I'm getting are downright scary.
Good Job Gomez !

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
Ed

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »

How about a "fish room addition" to the side or back of the garage Tom??

gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »

Looks like a nicely organized fish room.  When are you going to add on to it?  LOL

When I build the 400g lol
Some tanks get more than one change a week but for the most part I do all my waterchanges in the fishroom in about 5 hours in one day.I have 2 hoses draining,vaccing with a 3rd and refilling with a 4th all at the same time.Im often soaked by the time Im done lol.Since the room is below grade and my drywell cant handle that much water,I drain into a rubbermaid tub with a pump pumping the water out the window,so that is a 5th hose to keep track of all at the same time.

Waiting will fill
dope
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 09:28:13 PM »

Wow thats my dream... Your a lucky man!   It looks like a full time job!   Nice
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 08:33:41 PM »

Just when you thought i couldnt fit any more...
Im adding 2 55g tanks to the room,that rack is built and the tanks are in.
and adding 2x40g and one more 30 long.
that will leave me with no room for the 45 tall and 2 of the 20 longs.
Im thinking maybe the 45g can be a coldwater tank in the unheated basement gym?

jolly1

Waiting will fill
BottomFeeder

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 08:47:40 PM »

I missed this thread the first time through.  Thats insane, but very impressive!

I wish I had a basement, it would be so much easier to have a good setup.  I'm looking to build a unit that can hold 4 tanks, I might need to pick your brain some.   happy

<a href="http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic, 17829.0.html">
[/url]

55g Tiger Barb community
30g King Tiger Pleco
29g Cockatoo 
20g Convict
20g Calico Pleco
15g Shimp Tank
6g Betta tank
metanis

Tanks: 46G: pair of german blue rams, 3 julii cory cats, pair of keyhole cichlids, 1 gourami 90G:leopard ctenopoma, striped raphael catfish, 40G Fry grow out, 10G QT

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »

what all do you breed and what do you do with all those fish!!!???  that is an AWESOME room.  i bet i could get lost in there for days:)
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 10:51:28 PM »

I think this list is complete I just tried to update it off the top of my head.Excuse the common names
Cichlids
Cypho. Frontosa "mpimbwe"
Lab. hongi srt kimpuma
yellow lab
red zebra
Demasoni
Labeo. Trewavase mpanga red
crenicichla proteus
honduran red points
firemouth cichlid 
red empress
A. Stuartgrantii ntekete
cry. moreii blue dolphin
red tiger oscar
pter. scalare striped, smoke,black,koi
 n. helianthicus
 cyprichromis sp?
cyp. leptosoma blue flash
jack dempsey
apistogramma baenshi
n. multifaciatus 
chanchito

Catfish

cory stenocephalus
cory aneus albino
cory 003?
pygmy cories
Royal pleco
clown pleco
scribble pleco
pleco l 262
L134 "Imperial tiger"peckolita"
"black venezuela" cory
longfin bn pleco albino and goldspot
calico bn plecos
bn pleco albino and spotted
"common" pleco
syno eupterus
syno nigriventis
syno nigrita
syno petricola
tiger loach
skunk loach
botia striata
botia kubotai
black kuhli

Livebearers

endlers
"tiger" endlers
albino flame guppy
panda guppy
ameca splendens

inverts

pomacea bridgsii
cherry shrimp

Bettas

Green halfmoon dragon
metallic marble

charachins

silver dollars
marble hatchets
neon tetras

other
badis badis
glossoleptis multisquamatus

Waiting will fill
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »

WOW, just wow, WoW! As the hippy's used to say, back when I was a kid, FAR OUT run_away

So, is the next batch of pictures going to be the actual fish, not to put you on the spot or anything. Maybe down in photos? Since we're still in DIY what are those white PVC pipes by the Betta tanks, what do you mean self draining. And what is that bent PVC behind the 20 gals, on the right side (top) of the second picture?

Work in progress...
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 11:52:50 PM »

The pvc is to hook those 20g tanks into the sump that runs the 2 55g tanks.
The pvc by the betta barracks is for the air pump.if you look in the third photo the shelf above the barracks holds the air pump.Its a linear piston medo air pump.the pvc runs around the entire room with taps for air lines as needed.
Self draining,if you overflow the individual tanks in the barracks the water flows into the gutter to the downspout.
Had to scrap some plans for auto waterchanging,my well pump cant take the constant load.

And theres lots of my fish pics around here.Not as many as if I was the photog,my wife owns the camera so the photos get taken when the mood strikes her.

Waiting will fill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's