Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 24, 2017, 11:40:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on Dan's memorial  (Read 22321 times)
Badman
Administrator

United States United States

« on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »

The glass wall at Mystic is well behind the original completion date and I contacted the development office to try to find out what's going on. Here is the email I received.

Hi Pat,

A quick update on the Glass Block Wall project:  There have been some initial snags in the initial build of the wall.  The first hurdle we had to overcome, was getting enough blocks bought and made to make an actual wall.  This number was larger and took longer to reach, than first anticipated, but was recently achieved.  The second issue which is being dealt with currently, is the placement and construction of the wall.  As an active Aquarium, we are always changing exhibits, getting new animals, and keeping up with safety codes.  So the location of where the wall is to be built has changed a few times, because we want to make sure it is in a place that will remain unchanged as long as possible.  There has also been many changes in the administration here at the Aquarium, which has added to the delay, but has definitely been good for the Glass Block Wall project.  This new administration will see to it that the wall is built by this summer.  When I know a more specific date, I will contact you.

Best Regards,

David Hunter
Development & Public Affairs
Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration
55 Coogan Blvd., Mystic, CT  06355

Looks like it should be soon!

Pat

liv2padl, Craig, Michael B - we miss you, rest in eternal peace.
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:24 AM »

That is good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:58:02 AM »

Thanks..Good to know one way or the other

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
Ed

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »

Thanks for the update Pat.  I'm looking forward to attending the dedication.

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:45:20 PM »

I am looking forward to hosting a big BBQ after the dedication!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Q
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125 Gallon Amazon Biotope Community: 30 Cardinal Tetras; 8 Silver Hatchets; 10 Panda Cories; 2 Butterfly Ram; 6 Discus 37H Rose Garden: 9 Rosy Tetras

None of us is as smart as all of us.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »

YAY!!  I'm looking forward to meeting some of my Badman's friends, attending the dedication, and eating BBQ at Karen's afterwards.

Humans are the only creatures able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »

i am looking forward to eating at a big barbeque!

and i am looking forward to finally seeing the completed wall with dan's block in place.
Badman
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »

I just hope all goes according to their timetable. I think Dan would be pleased to see us together honoring his life. Badman will be paying for the BBQ as long as Karen is willing to host it!

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 05:23:41 AM »

I sure am....

Any sign of a date yet?  If timing is good I may even be able to provide a "right off the boat" tuna.  Yellow Fin and Albacore abound at the right time of the year.  Mako shark isn't hard to come by either!

I have overnight accommodations for 6 people (3 couples) with ease...after that we start putting people in tents and hammocks, or on floatie toys in Dan's big fish tank.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Badman
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 10:03:29 AM »

I am going to wait until May before I send another email for and update. Karen the last time you were there was there any signs of construction?

Pat

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »

Nope....

The only hint of any progress I saw was that the fliers that had been laying around advertising that they were selling the bricks were gone.  The last spotted flier was seen Christmas time, I think.  I asked if they had a place picked out for the wall and was given blank stares.  I think I asked the wrong person.

I will be there on a Thursday early in May... I can't remember the date and don't have a calendar handy.  The eighth maybe?

April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »

anything yet?

it's been a long time.... are they ever going to do anything, or are they just running with the money they made?

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
Badman
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 07:25:49 AM »

I last heard from Mystic around the middle of May and was told construction was due to start at the end of May or early June. I have been told that they will keep me informed. When I hear you will hear!

Pat

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »

I was there May 8th and was told "in a couple of months".

Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 02:35:37 PM »

I'm starting to think that the wall isn't going to be built until next summer.   Sad

I just received an update from our pal David at Mystic.  He'll be attending a meeting later this week to go over some "design and construction issues."  They still have not begun construction on the wall but hope to "soon."  I hope it really is soon.  I'm starting to get rather impatient.

I guess an autumn bbq would still be fun.....

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
Badman
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »

Stella, I wish I had your in with Mr Hunter, its like pulling teeth for me to get anything. Are you related Smiley

Pat

Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »

No, I'm just a pest.  LOL
And I'm just sweet enough, but still have a bite.   Wink

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
moonbunny

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 02:15:27 AM »

I've been gone too long if Dan's no longer with us.  So much caring, so much a great part of the reason I came to Badman's.  How could this be?

In sorrow,
Bunny
superpap56
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »

It's a sad fact of life moonbunny as i know you are all to aware of ,as all of us are.
   He is missed much here.He left his mark on all who have been here and those like me who just started to get to know him and ,in truth,all who stumble through badman's door since and on down  the road.
  If a man's (or woman's)life is measured in those terms and by the friends and love of those who knew you,,then he was a winner.I can't find a better word than that at the moment.Any recent--since the last update , news on the wall.?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »

Pap the wall is up ... have you seen Sully's avatar change?

I photographed it about 3 weeks ago.  Rumor has it that Mystic Aquarium will do a ceremonial dedication thing.... I was waiting to post the pictures until that had happened.

superpap56
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »

u know i had a hunch and was going to look close at his avatar last nite-and then forgot to.--good to hear.that's a pretty pic.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=21210.0

Dedication ceremony was attended.  Please see the other thread for a few photographs of the wall.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation