Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 05:14:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: water temp for ADF's  (Read 4076 times)
nicci
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »

I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 ADF's. I have one of those heaters that does not have a dial to adjust the temp. I did a water change today and goofed on the water temp of the new water. The tank is kept at about 75 degrees and was around 79 after the water change. I usually feed around 6 but had to feed a little later today at 8. Before I fed and after I did the water change, I noticed the little guys were much, much more active than I've ever seen them. And they went nuts for their food. It's the most I've seen them eat!

I don't always sit and stare at the tank, but I had an especially stressful day today so I did spend a good bit of time in from of the tank. I check on them quite often throughout the evenings but have never seen as much activity as I did today. I figure it's one of two things: a) I just happened to catch them during an active streak or b) they like their temp a little closer to 80. (I know that over 80 is bad)

I'm going to start feeding at 8 since they ate much more at 8 tonight. I'm thinking about watching them for the next week once the temp settles back down and if I notice that they are not as active as they are tonight I'm planning to go get a heater with a dial to keep the temp closer to 80. (78-79 is what I'm thinking.)

And, of course, I will be more careful about checking the temp of the new water.
Any thoughts?
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »

I'm not sure what type of heater you're referring to, but you need a heater that you can set the correct temp on.

I'm thinking the partial water change got them all stirred up and active. Probably made them start scavenging for food and acting nutty like they tend to do when they're active.

50% water change/gravel vac once a week. They are messy eaters, and at times you need to do an extra vac just to make certain that their water is pristine and their tank is clean.

You can raise the temp but keep it at least a couple of clicks below 80, and hopefully that will leave a little room for water temp error when you do your weekly water change.

It sounds like you have a tank full of healthy happy ADFs. Staring at Healthy tanks is quite relaxing after a stressful day. Glad you're enjoying your little guys/gals.

Overview:

Commonly kept in today's aquariums, the African dwarf frog can be a peaceful member of a community setup.
Quick stats:
Listed tank sizes are the minimum 
Size: Up to 1.5" (38mm) Total Length 
Tank: The tank height should be no more than 16 inches max, preferably only 12 
Strata: Bottom mostly, middle
PH: 7.0 to 7.2 but they can live in a wide range of PH levels
Temperature: 70's, do not let the temp. drop below 70º or above 80º

Classification:

Order: Salientia or Anura
Class: Amphibians
Family: Pipidae 
Genera: Hymenochirus
Species:  boettgeri, etc. 

Common name:

African Dwarf Frog
Image gallery:
Additional species photographs

Discuss:

Badmans' Forum
Distribution:

Central Africa, Nigeria and Cameroon and through the Zaire Basin to eastern Zaire.
Life Span:
5 years

Skin Shedding:
ADF's shed their skin every 1 to 2 weeks. It only takes a few moments.

Feeding:

Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms & brineshrimp, Reptomin, any brand of sinking commercial frog food, flake food, livebearer fry.

Substrate:

Bare or gravel.

Plants:

Live or Silk plants. ADF's do not eat live plants.

Tank décor:

Provide adequate hiding places. Caves, etc.

Filtration:

Quieter models of filters are best. ADF's do not do well in high current tanks.
Lighting:

Turn off lights just as you do for your fish. ADF's need a night/day.

Tank maintenance:

Perform once a week water changes/gravel vacs. Male dwarf frogs "sing" when trying to find a mate. ADF's can be kept with other aquarium fish. The fish should be non- aggressive and in general small. You must make sure that the fish do not eat all of the food before the dwarfs have time to eat. Do not keep ADF's and ACF's in the same aquarium! African Dwarf Frogs are very active and add an interesting touch to any aquarium. Although entirely aquatic, dwarf frogs have lungs and periodically rise to the water surface to gulp a breath of air. Their water must be clean and chemical free. ADF's have webbed front and back feet.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation