Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 05:06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pond snails dieing off  (Read 3457 times)
Blue-ram

« on: March 29, 2008, 12:17:54 PM »

With the multi feedings of the Discus I now have hundreds of ponds snails.  They seem to be deformed and a lot are dieing and floating at the surface.  What is making them do this?  They still can find the reduced amount of sinking wafers so food may not be the issue.  I am just curious I do want them gone but have not torn down the tank yet.

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
daveedka
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:55:39 PM »

What are your water parrameter i.e. KH, GH, and pH. Snails do not do well in less than 80 ppm calcium IME, and low pH (usually correlates with low hardness number) makes it even more difficult. What you will see with pond snails in low Caclium, low pH water is that you will get lots of babies but the mortality rate will be high with Juvenile and adult snails.  With larger less hardy snail species you will not see reproduction at all in most cases.
You will not see any larger snails as a rule in less than ideal calcium and pH levels.

Also do not underestimate the effect of reduced feeding. Food is an easy and effective way to control snail populations for anyone who really puts some effort into it. If you were feeding at a specified level and the snail herd grew to that level then you reduced feeding, you will inevitably see a reduction in the snails herd accordingly. They tend to populate to the maximum number that the food levels will allow, so any reduction in food will equal a reduction in snail population as well.

Dave
Blue-ram

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:10 PM »

I will test the water but the 3 male brigs seem to be fine.  As you said the teens in the pond snails are the ones dieing

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »

Deformed snails? A tank full of floating dead snails?

Something is bad off. Have you added anything new to the tank. Check the temp.

I'm glad your brigs are fine, but a bunch of deformed snails just isn't normal.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Blue-ram

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 07:53:23 PM »

I think that is very odd also.  I moved my brigs and nerites to QT to keep an eye on everything and everyone. I have not changed the tank or added anything. O, O, .5 ph7 temp 82
Ok don't get frustrated with me. Trying to kill pond snails and quick cycle the new tank.
Do you think if I took the ceramic beads from the canister with snails put them and a non snail infested cycled tank pad (from my 5g goldfish tank) into another canister and then put this canister in the new tank with no fish or plants that I could run copper in the tank and not disturb the cycle?  maybe repeat a couple of days later after a water change.  Then repeat the water change and add some of my fish.
I know we talked about this before and I have decided I will probably get a egg or more with the move.  Even with all the cleaning.  I will probably have to get some small loach to keep the snails at bay.  I will then have to keep my brigs in there own tank.

Deformed snails? A tank full of floating dead snails?

Something is bad off. Have you added anything new to the tank. Check the temp.

I'm glad your brigs are fine, but a bunch of deformed snails just isn't normal.

daveedka
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »

IF you run copper, you'll want to mark all of the equipment involved, and the tank, and never ever use any of it with snails or shrimp again. Copper is difficult or impossible to remove and even years later, tanks that have copper in them will kill off snails. I personally would find a diffenrent method if I ever wanted to get rid of pnd snails.

pH of 7.0 is definately a problem for snails, the fact that your brigs are fine is suprising (but I'm glad to hear it). anything below about 7.6 usually causes some etching even with high calcium levels.

Dave
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:04:46 AM »

Out of curiosity, what's your kh and gh?
Take care,
Mary.
Blue-ram

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »

I put oyster shell in the canister for the brigs.  When I wiped their shells off when I put them in QT I was surprised how thick and tough their shells are.
When I vac'd the 29g I could not believe how many young pond snails there were.  I used my magnum hot shot with the micro filter.  I will do this for several days.
I microwaved the wood and left it to cool.  I am soaking the plants in alum.  I will not do the copper.  I did not know it would coat and emmit copper for ever.

Mary I will check my Kh and gh tonight.

I guess if I do transfer the pond snails I will have to get a few small loaches to balance.  I will really hate giving up my male brigs in that case.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation