Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:17:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus) Question  (Read 2891 times)
#teamfish
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »

So I have two blue gouramis, one of them is always pestering the other one, chasing him around and basically acting like a bully.  The smaller of the two (the one that gets picked up) will occasionally chase the other around.  I am not sure if they are playing, or if the bigger of the two is bullying and the small one just fights back sometimes.

The LFS said having two would be fine..................................

Anyone have any suggestions?  I have no problem returning one of them if they are better off by themselves. 

As a side note, the more aggresive of the two never bugs anyone else in the tank, he only messes with the other gourami.

Thanks
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:20:50 AM »

Hi Teamfish
There are just too many lfs folks who really do not give good advice. It's always best to research yourself rather then relying on them.

Gourami's are territorial, period. In a very large tank ( in relation to the size of gourami you're keeping ) sometimes males can be kept together, more often then not it does not work out.

Your species is known as being one of the more aggresive gourami species so it's particularly difficult. In fact, with the Trichopterus even females can be pretty pugnacious and difficult to keep together.

The easiest way to keep the fish you have is as a single specimen. Another set up that may work out is male/female. Keep in mind that male gourami's will also harass female companions although usually not with the intent to kill but out of a mating drive. They will accidently stress them to death however. It's important to have a sizeable and well decorated tank so that she can get out of his sight and rest.

Most of the time I would suggest a harem set up with one male to two females for gourami's but when it comes to Trichopterus, and the fact that even females are often hard on each other...even that set up is a crap shoot.

Again, the easiest way to keep them is as single specimens but if you're willing to be exasperated and maybe have to switch fish around you could try a male/female set up.

#teamfish
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 12:54:09 AM »

Cool thanks for the advise, I will take one back this weekend. 

I didn't realize how big this fish got (another missed detail by the lfs) till I looked them up online, one is more than enough!

Thanks again
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:20:09 AM »

Smiley glad I could help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation