Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 20, 2019, 01:21:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Identifying my Pleco  (Read 6384 times)
#teamfish
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »

I don't know what he is, and cannot find him online.  He ended up with me because my buddy didn't want him in his little 10g.  I need to know if he is going to get too big for my 55 gallon cause I don't want to stunt him. 

Any ideas????

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]
Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »

If you look very closely, does it have tiny bristles on its nose? It looks a bit like my two females which are, as close as I can figure, Gold Marble Bristlenose Plecos. Here are a couple of pictures to compare to yours.

[attachment deleted by admin to save space and load time]

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:58:09 AM »

It looks like a common pleco to me.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
guppyking
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »

It looks like a common pleco to me..

happy_dance_01
Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »

Check the pictures on Planet Catfish and see if any look like yours.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/index.php

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:14:59 PM »

I'm going to join with Danni and agree that it could very well be a bristlenose hybrid. Or something else entirely lol...but I am not convinced it's a Common pleco.

It's hard to judge by patterns, both with bristlenose and with common pleco's because they are really so hybridized. I have bristlenoses with color patterns that look nothing like the the ones you see in many of the pictures on line.

Common pleco's are generally of the pterygoplichthys or hypostomus genus's. A quick and easy first clue for me is to look at the tail.

here are pics of a Hypostomus
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=643

a profile of a Pterygoplichthys -  as noted in the profile they feel that this is probably the mostly widely sold species under the name Common Pleco
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=88

here's a profile of the bristlenose, a fish in the Ancistrus genus
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile117.html

note that an Ancistrus caudal fin (tail) looks nothing like either of the fish known as Commons.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:23:49 PM by Kim » Logged

#teamfish
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »

great, just what I didnt want, a common pleco...   I dont see any evidence of bristles around the nose, but he/she is very brown in color and his/her dorsal fin is much smaller than the common ones I have had in the past.     

I suppose either way, common or bristlenose, it's too big for my tank.

Thanks for the help!

Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

A bristlenose stays much smaller and is fine for a 55 (I have one in my 33). A common, certainly not in a 55. How big is the pleco now? Do you know how old it is or how long your friend had it?

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:33 PM »

of course you can keep it if it's a bristlenose. Look at the profile for him that I posted.

#teamfish
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 01:56:47 PM »

Wierd I could have sworn I read that bristlenose can get up to 35" or somthing...ahh I think I have been reading to much about fish latley, all starting to blend together......

Right now it is about 2.5 inches long, and I think my friend got him about 3 months ago, don't know how long it was in the fish store before that. 

Thanks again for all the help!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »

If its a common.... in the next 6 months it will more than double in length.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 05:31:19 PM »

A female bristlenose won't grow the bristles.  Those are only present on the males.  As Karen said, if it is a common it should become apparent pretty quickly.  A bristlenose will max out at about 5 inches.  If yours goes beyond that.......you know the rest.

edit - I actually might have to take back what I just said about bristlenose size.  Someone (Sully maybe?) mentioned something about a HUGE "bristlenose" that outgrew a 55.  But I think most of the bristlenoses that you commonly find in stores stay under 6 inches.  Cross your fingers that you have one of those.   Wink

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »

Well, female bristlenose won't get the branches that males get but they do have tiny cute little bristles on their noses. You just have to look very  closely because a lot of the time, the bristles lay back against the skin. They are usually located on the sides of the nose. Sort of looks like she hasn't shaved for a couple of days. lol2

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »

if it's a bristle it will grow much more slowly, mine have taken a few years to get to around 6"

Rob1619

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 08:05:36 AM »

Looks like a female BN to me Wink

In heaven there is no Beer...that's why we drink it here!..lalalala....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation