Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 20, 2019, 08:35:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SHRIMP.....  (Read 6324 times)
superpap56
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo  are Amano shrimp safe with and from just about any tropical fish?if not -could you give me an idea what NOT to put them with?
  I am thinking of adding some to a tank with Punctius dennesonni(redline barbs/sharks)and a striped raphael catfish---as well as in a tank of platys.
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »

Not sure about the barbs/sharks/catfish, but my two amanos lived very well in my rainbowfish tank.  The bows, loaches, cories, ram and adf never bothered them and they marched around the tank like they owned it.  They both died a couple of weeks ago during my last low oxygen mishap in that tank.  I had them both for over 2 years.  I really miss them, too.
Take care,
Mary.
superpap56
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

thanks mary---I get confused sometimes--it's crayfish that eat fish not shrimp right?I guess it's obvious i never kept shrimp-heck I don't even eat them lol.Us old folks get confused sometimes -just like Taylor.lmao
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »

You have to worry about the fish eating the shrimp, not the shrimp eating the fish. happy I think you should also eat shrimp. Not your pet shrimp but at a restaurant.

Take a look at the amano profile. Amano Shrimp Profile

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile83.html 

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
superpap56
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »

already did debra-lol--and i ain't eatin no shrimp.
Ed

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »

Mmmmmmmmmmm - love to eat shrimp.

Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »

grilled, boiled, broiled, steamed, fried, Cajun style, etc. etc.....  Pap, doesn't know what he's missing!!! Wink

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
superpap56
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »

don't wanna know what i am missin...people always told me-about fish--"you will like this it don't tastelike fish"---well good but since what i eat don't taste like fish either--i don't need it.---actually I do eat fish sticks and some salmon and tuna-but that's it for the ole seafood buffet for me.Teri used to haul me to a fancy smancy seafood place--i always checked that they had steak or a burger.She always teased me about that.----i don't do much seafood.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 10:54:41 PM »

Shrimp are fish food.  Any fish large enough and fast enough, and with the right teeth, will eat shrimp.  Rainbows, for an example - at least ones as small as mine, cannot eat get adult Amanos, or even adult Red Cherry shrimp.(where the females are half the size of an adult Amano), but they can eat all the young and will do so - they almost wiped out a nice colony in one of my tanks.  But they still get their revenge - the adults eat Rainbow eggs.

Large Macrobrachium shrimp will eat anything edible, definitely including most aquarium fish.  Mmaller memembrs of that group will only get smaller fish, especially those that sleep on or near the bottom.  The smallest Marcobracium commonly kept, the Red Claw, have not bothered any of the fish I have kept with them to date.

So, as with most tank things, it all depends - on fish size and nature as well as shrimp size and nature.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Kim
pita sandwhich
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:07:39 AM »

yup, I have amano's with female betta's, they are large and healthy. The girls have been seen to corner and harass cherry shrimp from time to time but never amano's. I think the amano's scare them...lol.

I would say good with the platy's or probably any gourami's, small schoolers or small cats. Not sure about the raphael or barbs. Might want to refrain from that, especially if the amano's are expensive or hard to find in your area. Possible the shrimp could avoid being eaten but they'd probably hide all the time so what's the point?
The platy's will surely be a safe companion.

Large amano's are pretty dang cool, they're about the largest shrimp I can take though...anything bigger and I'm scared of it...lol.

April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 01:20:42 AM »

The one time I was cleanign the tank, one of the wood shrimp were on the filter sponge that I put over the intake. It wasn't even scared. I took it right out of the water before I realized it was still on there! I promptly screamed and dropped the sponge back in the water!

LOL I love my shrimp, but they are kinda freaky, lol.

pap, I think the rapheal will LOVE the snacks lol

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
Kim
pita sandwhich
Senior Staff

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 01:29:06 AM »

ROFL!! Ape, I would have done the same thing. I think wood shrimp are cool and they don't scare me too much because they have cute fuzzy feet...but I ain't pickin it up!

Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 01:33:11 AM »

Your barbs are probably going to eat them. My barbs ate my amano, RCS and ghosts. I finally stopped trying to add shrimp to that tank.

Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 08:00:57 AM »

It was fun watching my cardinals bounce off my bamboo shrimp.  It is like a tank to the cardinals.  The best fun is watching my two little ghost shrimp.  There is no telling where I will find those little guys.  I wish I had more, but my tank is full at the moment.
Getting back to the serious subject of eating shrimp, they taste more like crawfish then fish.  But if you have your choice go with the crawfish.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »

April Lynn:  One of the first times I was moving Amanos from one tank to another, one ran up the net handle, up my arm, and stood there.  I was flabbergasted.  I had never imagined a tank critter leaving the water so readily.  I put my other hand on my shoulder, the shrimp stepped onto it and was deposited in the catch bucket - I do think it realized that it was a shrimp out of water.

I suppose that you are not in the market for a Giant Marco,then?  They do get a bit too large for a 50, alone.  The only tank-critter I have kept that caused guests to scream when he came out of his cave/overhang.  Almost worth keeping for just that effect.  My wife does not care for them (understatement).  Wink

Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »

Kim & April, when I had my bamboo/wood shrimp he would grab on to my finger when I tried to move him away from an area I was cleaning.  He would hang on tight and refuse to let go, even when I would try to gently shake him off.  The first time was kind of an "Ack!" moment, but it was kind of endearing.  LOL

*this little story may be part of a hijack, but Kim & April started it so I blame them!   Wink

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »

Do wood shrimp eat wood? *ponders*

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »

No, but they will 'mop' it for microfauna.   Smiley

Kim
pita sandwhich
Senior Staff

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »

Stella it cracks me up thinking about what my reaction would be, screaming hysterically and hopping up and down pretty much sums it up. Of course it would include almost sobbbing and begging Rin to get it off me....rofl
You have nerves of steel compared to me. lol

Sadly they just remind me too much of bugs...which I have a slight phobia towards.

Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 12:16:13 PM »

ROFLMAO  I can see it now.....Kim's shrimp holding her fingers while her swordtails attack and her horsies jump out at her head.  They're all out to get you, Kim.  Watch out!

Oh, and I would have the same reaction as you if an actual, non-aquatic bug touched me.  In the water = OK, out of the water = hysterical.  LOL

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »

It might be worth setting up another Giant Macro tank - if you two will agree to come by and visit... party

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's