Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 21, 2017, 12:44:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for stocking advice for my 50 gallon  (Read 349 times)
Kaayston

Canada Canada

« on: June 23, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »

I am a couple months in to owning fish tanks.  When I first started out I went to the LPS and got their advice on set up with out doing much research on my own.  My bad.  I started with a 10 gallon with a heater and HOB filter, both say that they are good for a 20 gallon set up.  I started with 2 female platys (one mickey and one tri-coloured) and low and behold one of them was pregnant.  I also had 2 panda cory, 2 Sterbai cory and 1 Julii cory (I was advised that they would shoal together by the LPS but has since researched to realize they need 3-4 of their own kind to shoal).  I fell in love with my tank and realized that I wanted to go bigger and expand a peaceful tank.  I purchased a 50 gallon (without the hood for the time being however the new one will be here in about a month), a FLUVAL 306, and heater... and I have tried to plan my tank accordingly but I would really like some input from those with more experience than me.

I have taken the time to cycle the 50 gallon tank (nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, hard water, about 120 total alkalinity and the pH is between 7.2-7.8) and the female Platys and all 5 corys have been moved to it and have enjoyed all of the room for 2 weeks, while the 10 gallon is still running to grow the fry until we can find new homes for them.  50 Gallon tank dimensions are roughly 48x12x20 (cant find a tape measure at the moment).  I want to start adding some more fish to the tank as it seems so empty right now.  Also worth noting that aquarium we have set up is not live planted but has a bubbler, a cave, lots of nooks and places to hide as well as a variety of plastic plant life.

This is what I was thinking for stocking

Current
2 Platys (both females)
2 Panda Cory
2 Sterbai Cory
1 Julii Cory

Considering
1 Male Dwarf Gourami
2 Panda Cory
1 Sterbai Cory
2 Julii Cory
6-8 Glowlight Danios *
6-8 Harlequin Rasbora *

*  I like the look of both fish however if it I am overloaded with both I would be fine picking one or the other of either danios or rasboras

Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions Smiley
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »

The fish you have and the fish you plan to add will not 'overload' your aquarium. I think you picked out a nice selection.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 62 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's