Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 20, 2019, 08:36:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: scrappin' ADF's  (Read 2111 times)
nicci
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:30:27 AM »

Is it normal for them to fight? Is this a mating thing? I caught 2 of the smaller frogs going at it yesterday. It was like a froggy episode of Jerry Springer right in my tank! They kept lunging at each other, then the arms would start flailing... I checked today and everyone is alive and I don't see any injuries. They were less than happy with me because I had to pick the cave up so I could do a proper head/flipper count and inspection. I caught pairs in mating behavior the other day... I'm not 100% sure that it was 2 males fighting. Some of my frogs are young, so it's hard to tell sometimes who's who.

I'm wondering if I need to add a second cave or more plants just in case it was a territorial issue. I have one good sized cave  that could comfortably fit all 7 frogs and one small pagoda that can comfortably fit 2-3 frogs. There are also a few fake plants that a few like to hide under. The only reason I haven't added a second cave or more plants is that it makes the daily count quite difficult.

One other piece of info that might be helpful... it was close to feeding time when it happened. I've been trying to feed them every other day because the water fouls up too quickly. I haven't gotten to this point yet because when it's time for chow, I get a bunch of little faces and flippers plastered up against the glass. I'm a complete sucker.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:35:42 AM by nicci » Logged
Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »

I have never, ever known ADFs to be territorial.

I bet what you saw was one frog shedding its skin, and the other frog wanting to eat the skin. I have definitely seen two frogs both go for one's skin as it was coming off, and there was little frog arm flailing and what looked like head biting. The skin is fairly transparent, so you may not have seen it.

Your description of begging ADFs makes me miss mine so much!
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:53:56 PM »

Even if they fight they can't actually hurt each other. They don't have any teeth and their claws are really tiny.

When "anything" moves in front of them they lunge and snap at it thinking it's food. It kind of sounds as if they was trying to eat each other. Which of course they can't eat other but I have seen them try. Wink

I know that sounds funny, but that's probably what they was doing. Perhaps you should feed them a little more or given more time they will adjust to only being fed every other day.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
nicci
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »

THANK GOODNESS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM