Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 16, 2019, 04:06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: possible beginning of red leg in one of my adf's  (Read 4470 times)
nicci
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »

WOke up this morning and 2 had died. Water was in good shape and had just done a change yesterday. Temperature was correct, ph is stable, and I used water conditioner.

One of my frogs seems to have a patch of red on its leg. This has been there for a long time and has not gotten any worse. Of course, it is highly likely that I'm exaggerating what I'm seeing since I just lost 2.

Can I do a preventative treatment? What should I use and how?

I have some Melafix but wasn't sure if it would help
nicci
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »

Just looked at the leg again while doing a water change. It's not as red as I thought, but there's almost a touch of red if you really look hard. No swelling.

And since I didn't give the info earlier:

Ammonia: 0
Nitirite: 0
Nitrate: 5ish
ph:6.8

Even if there isn't a red leg issue going on, should I treat the tank with some sort of med considering I don't know what killed the other 2 frogs?
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:36:42 PM »

What is the size of the tank?  What are the tankmates?
Take care,
Mary.
nicci
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »

I always seem to leave something out! Tank is a 10 gallon. I leave about a half inch at the top to try to minimize any jumping (yes, there's a lid, but also a small open space by the filter). No tankmates. Just 5 frogs now. I've had them for about 6 weeks. All seemed healthy... lots of swimming and all seemed to be eating. Filter is a Whisper 10 (or whatever is rated for the 10 gallon). Temp stays at about 76.

I had a horrible ph crash about 2 weeks ago, but all is stable now. I added a bit of crushed coral to the filter to get the ph back up (it was barely registering before). Again, this was done about 2 weeks ago, and I only added a few pieces of coral a day, so the ph change was very gradual.
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »

What caused your ph crash?  Do you know?
nicci
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

The kh of my tap water was registering zero. Like I said, that was a couple of weeks ago, and the ph has been perfectly stable since then. I've been testing it every day.
mduros

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »

Yes, but sometimes it takes days or even weeks for an animal to get sick from environmental stress that it has suffered.  You see, I'm not sure that you needed to add a buffering agent to raise your ph or not.  That in and of itself could be causing irritation and stress to the animals.  Did you have a previous post about the problem and did people recommend you raise the ph?  You say that kh was registering 0, but what was your ph at that time?
Take care,
Mary.
nicci
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »

THere's a long thread in the beginner's forum about the problems I was having. I was told to add the coral. The ph before the crash was barely registering on the API kit. It was a very, very pale yellow. It was more pale yellow than the 6.0 on the API card.
mduros

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »

I found it and read it.  In my opinion, all of this is your problem.  Your kh may be 0.  But WHY is your kh 0?  Ph of 6 or lower is not in and of itself going to be harmful to your animals.  Aquatic life is very, very adaptable and forgiving to ph as someone else stated.  I'm not positive that this holds true for adfs but I keep oregon newts.  Their skin is like a sponge.  They need soft or round substrate, some driftwood to sit and rub on to aid in shedding, and you have to be VERY careful about what you put in your tank because their bodies just absorb it.  Ideally you handle these animals with rubber medical gloves. 

In my opinion, you need to remove your substrate.  I think that the crushed coral you mixed into the substrate is an irritant and possibly poisoning your frogs because it is in such close proximity.  Lastly, adf's are extremely sensitive to cycling tanks.  I think that all of these things are adding to your problem and I would first get your substrate out, second, stop messing with the ph and kh in that tank, and third get a cycled medium from your fish shop or a friend and see what happens then.  Hope this helps.
Take care,
Mary.
nicci
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »

"In my opinion, all of this is your problem"

I do thank you for your advice and your opinion. And I will assume that you did not mean that as snippy as it sounds. Obviously I am trying to do the right thing here, which is why I have asked for advice. However, advice seems to fluctuate so much that it is difficult to decide which advice to follow. I have removed the substrate and have removed the coral from the inside of the tank.

Again, thank you for your time.
mduros

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »

I'm sorry.  I didn't mean it to be snippy at all.  All I mean is that I think that everything you have going on is making this a complex situation with many layers.  It's not just the kh/ph crash.  This intrigues me.  Why did your kh/ph crash?  I think that the possibility of any direct or close contact between crushed coral and the little fellas could cause problems.  Your tanks are relatively new.  It sounds like bio-spira didn't successfully cycle your tanks.  An adf going through an initial cycle rarely survives.  And yes, it is confusing and you will get different opinions.  But simplicity is best.  If I were in your shoes, I'd basically start over.  Remove the substrate, get a seeded sponge from somewhere so you have a starter bacteria colony in your tank and then play it by ear.  Watch the parameters, but wait, see what the ph and kh does on their own without altering them and see how the frogs seem to react to it.  I am probably one of the most down-to-earth people you'll ever meet.  So, I'm sorry if my response came out badly.
Take care,
Mary.
btosh60
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »

awww, Im sorry to hear about your ADF's.... its odd because I just lost 2 myself and its a little sadder for me to have to net a belly up-per when its one of my froggies.... Im kind of partial to them.. lol.. Good luck getting the tank sorted.. sometimes its just not easy to get it all in order...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation